Wednesday 8 April 2020

Isolation Journal Day 08

I actually signed up for Suleika Jaouad's project called the Isolation Journals earlier this month! Well although I'm not isolating myself (but practising social distancing, always), I really love the project! Cause no only I love writing/journaling, it's always good to add to my list of prompts haha. And to challenge myself as well. However some of the prompts feel a bit personal for me, and thus I won't be writing it here. I will write it in my journal perhaps. Also I'm not doing it day by day! I don't have the time to commit to the daily project but I saved the prompts for future use mwahaha. Alright this is day 8!

Isolation Journal Day 8 
Pick five time periods, ages, or moments from your life—they can be spread out or all clustered together. Don't think too hard about your choices, just write down the first one that comes to mind and move to the next. Next pick a song to pair with each moment. Again, try not to think too hard. Let it be a gut thing. Now write a quick and dirty paragraph about each one. Then take the one that feels most interesting to you and expand it.

Here are my 5 picks!

1. Childhood days - The Power of Goodbye by Madonna
2. Secondary School - Merry Go Round of Life by Joe Hisaishi (Howl's Moving Castle OST)
3. Poly days - The Prayer (Chanting Inner Peace) by Ketsana
4. 2013 - Wake Me Up by Avicii ft Aloe Blacc
5. Travel - Paradise by Coldplay 

1. Childhood days - The Power of Goodbye by Madonna
I have a very very vivid memory of this song - sitting at the back in my dad's car while we drive through the hometown on a Saturday evening. The sky was blue with streaks of orange clouds. I can remember the lemon-scented car refreshener, and me just staring at the sky above as this song was playing inside the car. It's been probably be 20 years, and everything is as vivid as if it was yesterday!

2. Secondary School - Merry Go Round of Life by Joe Hisaishi (Howl's Moving Castle OST)
I discovered this song back in 2008 I think. Or early 2009, can't remember. But I really love this song! I think the title is very fitting to the music, how lively and how it just reminds me that well life is indeed is a merry-go-round. I even learned how to play this song on the piano. I think my upper secondary school days were filled with lots of hope and fear and worry. Leaving secondary school to the next chapter, and so on. And this song definitely helped me through those days. And even up till today too.

3. Polytechnic days - The Prayer (Chanting Inner Peace) by Ketsana
This song came to me at the most amazing timing. I discovered this song from Project Runway Season 8. The song was used by the finalist Andy South for his runway collection in the finale. I fell in love with this song right away and went to google it! Thankfully I got the title and downloaded the song. The last year in polytechnic was one of the most stressful years of my life and this song helped me A LOT. I listened to it on the way to school, on the way home, before bed, and when I'm chilling out somewhere when I'm stressed. I've been listening to this song almost everyday for close to 8 years now ever since I discovered it. I wish Ketsana would release the song on digital platforms tho! 

4. 2013 - Wake Me Up by Avicii ft Aloe Blacc
2013 was one of the most confusing years of my life. To me the lyrics "All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost" speak volumes in my heart. But at the same time it's a driving force for me to constantly search within, to find myself, for myself.

5. Travel - Paradise by Coldplay 
One of the greatest travel experiences I had experienced was in 2011 - a school trip to Inner Mongolia, and also my first mountain climbing experience to Mt Kinabalu in Malaysia. These two trips taught me how beautiful this planet is and what a waste it would be to not explore it when you have the chance to. And metaphorically, these adventures taught me that there are far more things in life for me to explore. Even though this song was released after my trip to Inner Mongolia, and before my trip to Mt Kinabalu, I enjoyed reflecting 2011 with this song. And it has become sort of a ritual to have this song in my travel playlist since then. Everytime I hear this song, it reminds me of my travel memories, and a reminder to keep on exploring!

To be honest as a music lover, this challenge is so hard because I have many songs in mind. But then these 5 songs are the one that come to my mind right away. I've always regarded music as a time machine. Name me any song in my music library and I will tell you a story that I shared with that music. Be it a period of my life, a memory, or a simply a random day that I once experienced. 

No comments: