Saturday 14 March 2020

Anxious Times

So it's been 12 days since Indonesia announced the first two cases of COVID-19 and the number of cases has been increasing. I'm not surprised because we know how rapid it can spread in the community. From the way the government is handling it... Well I can just say we're not ready for a pandemic. I would say this is a test for Indonesia, and I hope we can win this battle victoriously.

The world as we live in today isn't really a good place to be in. I mean this planet is really an anxious planet and now we have to face this whole ordeal. Although like I said in my previous post, this is the planet as we know it. We live among viruses out there. This is a new virus that infected the human race and the world is battling it all together. Still the best defence we can have is to wash our hands often, keep our body fit and practise social distancing. Don't go out if it's not something necessary!

I think all of us need to recognise that this is no longer a "XXX country is responsible to contain the virus" or that a country is responsible for the outbreak. This has become a global fight and every country has to play a part to curb the infection. Or as we know it now, to flatten the curve. Some countries are doing a fantastic job (hello Singapore and South Korea) while others are in progress to do it (like Italy and other European countries). And now Indonesia has joined the battle too.

Okay there's another video I want to talk about but that's for another post.

My social media and the news of TV is filled with news and updates on COVID-19. It's not a fun place to be in for an anxious person like me. I'm torn between wanting to quit social media and wanting to stay update because I wanna see the current situation. To be honest this feels like SARS and H1N1 all over again, but with more information coming in, flooding in, at a higher speed with the availability of social media and so on. Come to think of it I didn't have a phone during SARS, and I was still using my Nokia N82 in Sec 4 haha. My source would be the local TV back then in Singapore.

I can still remember switching the TV to CNA whenever I came back home to see the update on H1N1. How many people are infected, and if there are any deaths on that day.

Now I get the information on the palm of my hand, through Twitter, Facebook and the occasional updates I get from people via WhatsApp haha. I would say I am really just using the platform to keep myself updated. At the same time I do read up on a lot of articles regarding the virus too. So that I know which is true or fake, and to also update myself with knowledge. Knowledge is power still! 

Looks like my 3 years of Biomed education didn't go to waste in this situation haha.

So I try to calm myself down. Even though reading news of spikes in cases in various countries, and news of death tolls can really make me feel anxious. Maybe I'm too empath of a person heh. And there's one thing that really makes me feel sad, angry and disappointed at humanity. It's when people mock my country/government whenever there's news about the COVID-19 situation here in Indonesia.

I understand that my government may not be as competent as yours. I understand that we might not have the best technology in the Biomedical field as compared to yours. I understand that my government makes decisions that may make you raise your eyebrows. I think this is the first time (correct me if I'm wrong) that my country is facing such pandemic situation. I too feel that some of the decisions that they make is a bit questionable (like not being fully transparent and slow moving). But I'm just going to let them do their job. Criticising and mocking them at the current moment won't make the whole situation better. I mean sure, it might make them listen to our plights and suggestions.

My point is, I don't think my country's incompetency and inexperience is a reason for you to mock and celebrate the misery of its people. I mean I saw someone comment a "finally" on a news of the first fatality of COVID-19. And how people repeatedly mock the "prayers" comment. I know I shouldn't have seen the comment section but sometimes they just appear opened on my timeline heh.

Like I really don't get it? Does it bring you joy to write such comments?

We're already living in terrifying times of uncertainty. Let us all be kinder to one another shall we.

No comments: