Thursday 17 August 2023

Returning Home


Happy 78th Birthday Indonesia

There's a piece of news that was circulating back in July about how there's 4000 Indonesians who became Singapore citizens in the past 4 years. Thinking about it, I guess I might be that weird and rare (or maybe not) breed of Indonesian who decided to go back after studying for 11 years 

and even rejected two PR offers.

This year marked the 10 years that I have returned home. And these ten years made me understand why people don't return home. My decision to return doesn't revolve solely on the love of my country (it’s complicated). But back 11 years ago (I made the decision to go back in 2012), I felt that Indonesia needs me more than Singapore needs me (you guys have enough people heh). 

But most importantly, I feel that my parents need me home more. 

Indonesia is not a perfect country and I fully understand why people would rather live elsewhere (and if you have the chance, you should!). But I take comfort in the knowledge that even though the past ten years made me understand why people don't return, these ten years also made me understand why I made the right decision to go home. I guess... You're where you're supposed to be.

I’m sure people like me will find “home” a confusing word. Conflicted by the idealistic life that I once experienced and returning to a place slightly less perfect than my previous residence. But home is home. It may not be a pretty place, there may be other places that are better. 

This world is a beautiful place, but there’s no place like home.

Happy 78th Birthday Indonesia. Jalan kita masih panjang, tapi semoga kita akan sampai. 

No comments: