Saturday 8 February 2020

Privacy

So recently I... Did something quite drastic. Something I didn't do for years. That is... Private my social media! Haha. Okay this may be something ordinary and nothing drastic. But I've left my social media public probably since the beginning. Especially Instagram because I want other people to be able to see my photos and so on. Also since I am someone who enjoys photography.

However recently I realised that I have a lot of followers who are... Strangers heh. No shit Adhi. Okay most of my followers are (I think) bots, or they are programmed to follow me, or they follow me in hope that I will follow them back. You know like I realise when I like a post for a certain page, another page that is related to that page will follow me. I think it's bot or something. Or when I leave a comment on a post, some other people similar to that page will also follow me. And it's fine by me.

Also most of these "bots" followers don't really like appear on my stories, or they don't constantly like my posts. So they just pretty much follow me randomly. And thus I'm okay with it. But recently I realise that there are people who follow me and they view my stories, they like my posts and interact with me etc. I used to be okay with that, but now I kinda think twice. To have strangers see my life heh.

Okay the thing is I realised that as I grow older, I value my privacy more. This is very obvious with the way I post. I used to be that guy that post anything and everything. From food I eat, the road condition and etc. I think back then we all kinda do that on IG before stories appear haha. Now we can post them on our stories. But now I don't do that, I just post photos. And even on my stories I don't post my day-to-day happenings. Probably the most "private" thing I will post it my food lol.

The way I post is this: do I want this post to appear on my page forever? Then I will post it. If not I will go on my stories. Similar with Twitter, I don't usually post often now. Even now I'm scared to share my thoughts. Like the older I grow the more I prefer to keep things to myself. I still do share my thoughts etc but I become more selective I guess. I'm not sure why, the older I grow the more uneasy I become sharing things with other people. I guess sharing them to my friends is the last straw.

And yup, it is just recently that I come across the thought that there are strangers seeing my "life" and my "thoughts" that I think twice about my own actions and decisions. I used to be that friendly guy who would allow everyone to follow me. I used to be that open guy that interacts with everyone else. I used to be that guy that "wants to be seen". But now not anymore heh. I become more wary of being seen. I become more reserved and prefer less interaction (unless necessary). 

At the end of the day, sometimes I think to myself, what do I get from this (being open)? Now I even think that it's rather weird to have strangers follow and interact with me as if we know each other!

Also nowadays 90% of my social media usage is to follow my favourite artists/bands for new materials/tour dates and for news. Which also reminds me, now that I have privated my accounts, my favourite artists/bands can no longer see my tweets to them T_T It's okay though I still love you and I will support you always. I guess it's time to move on from the notice-me-senpai phase as I like to call it.

Well I'm just going to set another rule for people to follow me - we need to have a common ground. If we totally have none then maybe I'm not gonna allow you to follow me haha. I think it's fine that I just keep my posts to the usual circle of people who have been following me for years. I think it's the age, it's time. I'm no longer that friendly neighbourhood guy who wants to be seen heh.

No comments: