Sunday 22 December 2013

Best of 2013 - part 1

Hello hello I'm here again, at last. After countless times of asking myself to blog, I finally drag my fingers on the keyboard to type here. But anyway, it's another winter solstice! Wow wow time surely flies. I just made tang yuans (glutinous rice balls) last night and gonna have to eat them today, according to my age + 1 according to tradition so yep.

Anyway, usually I'll do reflection of the year kind of thing right. For the past two years I've been reflecting on the past 12 months of the year during the last 12 days of the year. But hmm I feel that... This year I wanna do something different. Besides, I feel that not every month has something really special to reflect about. I'm sure there is, just that this year feels really different. Anyho so yeah I'm just going to give the highlights of this year. Be it events, concerts and travels.

So today, let's talk about best of 2013 - concert edition!

[] Best of 2013 - concerts []

This year I actually managed to go to a few concerts, great ones. It's kinda sad and regretful that it was only last year that I started going to concerts apart from symphonic band concerts. Like Corrinne May and Sigur Ros concert last year, were my first two concerts! How sad right. I should and could have went for more but well, I'm glad this year I managed to do so.


In January this year I had a really eargasmic 12 hours thanks to Laneway Festival Singapore! Managed to catch a few of my favourite bands/singers there. Like: Of Monsters and Men, Kings of Convenience, Gotye and Kimbra! And I managed to discover awesome music as well, coming from Alt+J, Bats for Lashes and the other artists. Really nice!


Being under the sun, singing and dancing to Little Talks by OMAM, dancing to "I'd Rather Dance with You" by KOC, which sadly was one of the two songs I caught them singing cause I was late haha. Seeing Kimbra's explosiveness and then ending the whole day with Gotye singing Somebody That I Used To Know. Listening to Alt+J while laying on the grass was also therapeutic. And getting lose in Nicholas Jaar's music was lovely as well.

Laneway was such indeed an Indie Heaven! Thanks to Lizzie and her sister for helping me get the 4-bundle ticket price. It's cheaper heh heh.


Then in January I was ecstatic to find out that Sigur Ros had decided to come to Jakarta in May for a concert! Akthough I was kind of worried that the day will fall during my graduation or something. But thankfully it wasn't. In fact it was like 2 weeks before so I quickly went to buy the ticket, a festival ticket, and it became the first concert which I went to, alone. And it was truly a wonderful wonderful experience. So worth everything!

The night Indonesia sang Hoppipolla with Sigur Ros!

I could still remember waiting outside Istora Senayan waiting to go in, 1 hour or so before door opening. I could still remember getting goosebumps seeing the band taking the stage. I could still remember the goosebumps I get when Yfirbord started playing. And how my heart skipped a bit when Jonsi sang the first line of the song. I could still remember shouting in joy when the screen dropped during Ny Batteri. The moment where we sang Olsen Olsen in chorus, and Festival too. Where we only stopped until Jonsi said "Thank you very much" then. 


I could still remember tearing up during Hoppipolla when Jonsi hit the high note during the part after he sang "Og ég fæ blóðnasir, En ég stend alltaf upp". Singing Hoppipolla with the audience was definitely something I'll remember for life. And then simply losing myself during Popplagid, where I stopped recording, taking photos and stuff. When Orri beat the hell out of his drum and everyone seems to "lose" it. Including me. Where I feel like I got possessed and be lost in a trance, only to regain my consciousness after the concert came to an end.

And the concert felt like a dream that I would never want to wake up from. Istora was a dreamscape where I escape from reality for that 2 hours. And when everything comes to an end, I just simply feel sad about everything else that comes back to me. Well, Takk Fyrir Sigur Ros for coming to Jakarta for the great concert! Definitely one of the best nights of my LIFE!


And last but not least I got to watch Richard Clayderman in concert as well! It was in June and he's really my piano idol since young. Listening to his songs in my dad's car, and collecting his CDs and so on. He's the one who inspired me to learn the piano and his songs will forever stay with me. It was such a bliss to get to meet him, get his signature and even shook his hand! I thanked him for the music and told him "Tres Biens!" and he even wished me good luck and all the best. Wow, my childhood dream just came true that night haha. Merci Beacoup!


And this is not a concert but watching Phantom of The Opera in August was definitely a highlight as well. It's so amazing! Another childhood dream come true. Still remember playing the main theme in Pei Tong, with the Angklung and Kulintang ensemble, and then from Broadway Essentials in TSMB, and of course with SPSB during my first IBM concert. To watch the musical with my eyes was just amazing. I'm seriously lucky to have the chance to catch it! :)

Hmm come to think of it 2013 was a not-bad-year for concerts. I get to tick off my bucket list for concerts, like watching OMAM live, cause I thought I'll never be able to do so haha. And then watching Richard Clayderman in concert, and catching Phantom live. And to catch Sigur Ros again in my homeland was definitely one of the greatest experience in life. And hey, I learned that going to concerts alone is perfectly fine. So here's to more concerts in 2014! Even if I have to go watch them alone. 

It's just sad that I don't live in Jakarta so... I have to travel there to catch concerts.

Alright that's all from me now. More of Best of 2013 coming along! Have a great Sunday everybody. And happy winter solstice! :)

No comments: