Saturday 30 August 2014

Listen

It's the end of the month once again, so let me share with you my great music of August so far!

Great Music of August:
- La Prima Estate by Erlend Oye
- 1901 by Phoenix
- Nilakhanta Dharani (The Great Compassion Mantra in Sanskrit) by Imee Ooi
- Whole of Asgeir album in Icelandic

La Prima Estate is a song by Erlend Oye, who's one of the duo from Kings of Convenience. Although he's a Norwegian, he spent some time in Italy and wrote the song, in Italian! Love the vibe to this song, makes me want to travel to Italy haha. Reminds me of summer and the alleyways of Italy or something. I think Erlend is a very talented songwriter and musician! :)

1901 is not really a new music I discovered. Ironically I discovered this song through Birdy with her softer and more mellow cover to this great song by Phoenix. Discovered this song again through a video on Youtube and I just fell in love with it again hah.

Nilakhanta Dharani or the Great Compassion Mantra in Sanskrit by Imee Ooi is a very nice rendition of the mantra by her. I think it's a great music, because the mantra itself is very long but Imee Ooi has made it into something pleasing to the ear, and I enjoy it listening to it very much. Makes me feel calm and well I'm trying to learn the mantra but it is quite difficult since it's very long. I will try my best haha. The past few days I've been into Buddhist chants, I don't know why. And I have a huge admiration to musicians who can create beautiful music from mantras.

Bought Asgeir's Icelandic album "Dýrð í dauðaþögn" when I was in Iceland. Although I already owned the English version of the album, I kinda prefer the Icelandic version. Well I suppose because it reminds me a lot of Iceland haha. I hope I can catch him live one day.

Anyway I have like a pile of Icelandic albums to listen to. But my laptop's CD reader is being wonky and I can't listen to CDs in peace. You know what, transferring Asgeir's album inside took me like 5 tries I think. Pretty annoying, I'm getting an external CD reader soon, and would love to get myself a nice CD player if possible. I enjoy listening to CDs.

Talking about music, I've been having this weird feeling of suddenly wanting to listen to a particular song/artist. For example after my Iceland trip I have this urge to listen to Kings of Convenience. And then after that I just fell in love with Lana Del Rey again. So weird. But hey actually this problem has been with me since forever. That sudden wish of listening to a particular artist. Now I am currently hooked with Buddhist chants haha.

Sad to say, I've been avoiding my favourite Icelandic music after I reached back home. Before my Iceland trip, these songs are my source of hope and joy to go to Iceland. After the trip, they make me sad because they remind me of my days there. But well at the same time, they are also a sweet congratulatory reminder for me that I've been there, that I went there. Pretty bittersweet feeling to be honest, but hey, I'm glad I did it! They're in my memories now, forever!

Alright, here's to more great music discoveries ahead.

No comments: