Friday 12 February 2021

Happy Chinese 牛 Year!

Happy Chinese New Year! :)

Hello everyone! First of all just wishing everyone a Happy Chinese 牛 Year! Yes I waited 12 years to say this again hahaha. Since this year is the year of the metal ox! I wish everyone great health, happiness and prosperity. And may the year of the ox be a better year than the previous year of the rat. Which I'm pretty sure was a _____ year for us. 祝大家牛新年快乐,身体健康,万事如意,心想事成!

Anyway I'm pretty sure we can all agree that this year's CNY felt a bit off. Personally for me, we don't have a full reunion this year. Usually my aunts, uncle and cousins would gather in CNY eve midnight but this year we don't do that. Just my family and my aunt who's staying with us. Apart from the usual CNY eve lunch (which is also not attended fully by everyone, the rest was pretty different.

I even went to the temple on CNY eve and... It was empty. The main doors of the temple are actually closed except for the side door. I even thought it was closed but the caretaker told me they're opened, they just only let devotees pray and not the general public. At the time of visit (7:30 PM), my temple would usually be filled with people. Devotees praying, curious onlookers and so on. The inside of the temple would be filled with smoke from burning incense. Now, it's just empty. Like a normal day.

But as you can see from the photo above, the temple is also glittered with candle lights. 

I see it as a symbol. That although the temple is void of people, it has candle lights flickering inside. In this seemingly unwholesome Lunar New Year, there still remain hope flickering brightly. That one day we will reunite again like the good old days. And this darkness will soon disappear, replaced by light.

Well yes it's been a weird CNY for us. But I hope you still have a great time with your loved ones. And please stay safe and healthy wherever you all are. Happy Chinese 牛 Year once again! :)

No comments: