Sunday 13 November 2022

So Long, Tanglin

So long, Tanglin. TSS circa 2009
1964 - 2022

Today is the 13th of November. Thanks to Facebook, I just realised that 13 years ago, on this date, it was my last official day as a student in Tanglin Secondary School (AKA my O Level Chemistry Paper 1 haha). Fast forward 13 years later, little did we know that it'll be TSS last official year as a school. 

So starting from next year, TSS will merge with New Town Secondary School. And NTSS will get to keep its name (why!?!?, No offence). It's kinda sad knowing that there'll no longer be Tanglin Secondary School. I never expected this day to come this quick. Heck, I didn't even expect the school will ever close down heh. Yes perhaps we will merge (like we did, with Clementi Woods) but we will keep our name. I seriously don't know why such historical names are not uphold.

But who am I to have a say.

Anyway so yeah I feel rather sad. On Friday there was a last homecoming concert back in TSS and some of my friends went for it. I felt really sentimental seeing their IG stories and decided to dig up some old photos. I came across this photo which I took 13 years ago! So ancient haha.

This photo was taken during French Leave. The 2 week period where we get to study on our own and also to have consultations with our teachers. I am someone who couldn't study at home. I mean with so many distractions in my room (there's the TV, my piano and my PC beside my table heh), I dragged myself to school everyday to study at the school's library almost everyday! 

Wow come to think of it I was so hardworking back then haha.

I had this ritual back then where I would go down to the canteen to have a break at 3 PM ish. I would get myself Pokka's Oolong tea from the vending machine. Back then, at this timing, the school was rather empty already. So it feels good to walk around an empty school. And on that day in October 2009, I went around the school to take some photos of the empty school. 

I never knew that day will be kinda significant now. I am going to miss the school. I would never trade those 4 years with anything else. That 4 years have shaped me to become who I am today, and they've gifted me with friendships that some, I know will last a lifetime (you know who you are!). 

I wish I have the chance to go back to TSS one more time. But well I don't think it's possible now. Whatever the case is, I'm still relieved that I still have all these memories to reminisce with my friends.

Oh well, thank you Tanglin for the memories. For the knowledge, for the lessons, for the friendships and for everything else that made m 4 of my 11 years in Singapore an amazing one. 

No comments: