Thursday 10 October 2013

Stars


Today there was an electricity shutdown in my hometown, and it was quite long too. Electricity shutdowns (or mati lampu, we call it here) are quite common. There might be some maintenance going on, or some boycotts done by some people and so on. And usually I don't bother much. I'll stay at home and do nothing to wait for the electricity to get back to life.

But tonight was different. The sky was clear and stars flooded the darkness. It was a pretty sight, because we're in total darkness and so the sky shows its true potential to us and it is really really pretty. So I decided to go up my room with my camera and tripod and start shooting some stars above. My sis accompanied me for a while then she went off to bathe.

So I was alone from then on. And it feels really nice. To sit under the star-lit sky with music playing from your phone. The wind blowing, and you see a couple of shooting stars (and you should know what I do next) and yup, it was just so surreal that everything in front of me is so beautiful and real. I mean how could it be fake haha.

After shooting for a while, the electricity is back to life and the lights turn on like a big bang.

And some of the stars began to disappear.

From this experience, I learned quite a valuable lesson in life.

When it was dark, the stars are there to accompany you. But when lights are on, they begin to disappear,. But you know they're always there. I suppose life's like that too. When things seem fine, we tend to neglect what's always there, who's always there. It is only when things go dark that we realise what we truly have in this world, who we truly have.

When we have things we want (lights), we tend to forget what's always there for us (the stars). When we don't have what we want, we realise the stars are there accompanying us, and they make us happy with their beauty and so on.

And I suppose stars are like hopes too. When things are dark, they will always be there to guide you. There's always a hope in every darkest situation you're in.

Tonight was such a beautiful night.

No comments: