Tuesday 12 November 2013

Growing Up

 Life only gives a one-way ticket to our final destination!

I've been wanting to write about this, but well umm yeah, you know me, it's very hard for me to write and blog at my ease so anyway here I am. Today I've been gathering my thoughts about the two words above - Growing Up. I suppose it's two words everyone is kind of afraid of? And we're all quite in denial about these two words. But, we have to accept them.

I'm 21 now and I suppose, I'm in this phase of "growing up". I'm not a young kid anymore but neither am I an old guy (though ironically I always tell myself that being 21 is old). And like what I blogged about last time the twenties is a very interesting time of your life. Interestingly beautiful and difficult too, because that's when life reveals itself more to you.

Do you remember when you were young, when your parents/teacher/other adults told you not to do something? And when you asked "why?" to them they will either give an answer you don't understand or they will just simply say "because I told you so" or "because it's meant to be cannot". And being young we just do as what we were told to.

And we grow up, physically and mentally, and our minds expand like the universe. We learn (to our dismay perhaps) that what we were told to when we were young didn't make sense. Or we discover the truths ourselves and so on and forth. As we begin to embrace our mind and knowledge, we slowly separate the truths and myths.

We begin to separate our rights, and our wrongs based on our judgements and feels.

Humans, we're never perfect. Like what the old saying says "One man's meat is another man's poison", what's right for us may not be right for others. What's wrong for us, may be right for others. Now that our minds are being expanded, our heart comes in the way with emotions. You'll begin to think if what's "right" is right for others, because it may hurt them and so on. You'll begin to fear that your right will be deemed wrong by others.

My dad always asks me a question, "Do all nice, are right things? Or do all right things are nice things?" and I always ponder. Doing something nice may not be a right thing to do but doing something right, will always be a nice thing to do (although it may be hard to swallow).

This is just one of the many examples of course.

But I suppose today I come to a conclusion that well, another thing that tells you when you're growing up, is when you begin to get confused on differentiating between the right and wrong. Because you're affected by many things when you come into this two-forked road. Your mind, which is shaped by the things around you and your heart, which is you own compassion and emotions. Separating right and wrong seems harder and harder as you grow up.

Of course not everyone finds it difficult. Those with a strong personality can easily differentiated those two because they're really strong minded. And neither am I saying everyone else is a softie because you couldn't  differentiate. I suppose it takes time too. Experience will help you through this. As you grow older you'll find it easier to follow your heart, with your mind helping you to make a decision, or to even carve out your own road.

I suppose, is this how growing up feels like?

When you get confused by so many things and everything seems so overwhelming to you. When you feel that the past was so much better than the present, and you wish you will forever be a kid. Growing up feels overwhelming but remember that it's a process everyone has to go through to get to our final destination. So just enjoy it. Life only gives a one-way ticket to our final destination so make sure you enjoy this journey for good.

Well, I suppose you know you're growing up when you begin to get the answers to why Peter Pan doesn't want to grow up. It's a complicated story.

Happy Tuesday! :)

No comments: