Saturday 26 April 2014

Incidence

I am not a superstitious person. Okay maybe I am but I'm definitely not a hundred percent superstitious. I do believe in traditions, religious or regional or racial. For example I believe in not washing my head during Chinese New Year cause I don't want to wash my luck away. I don't like to walk alone during Maghrib (evening, around 6 PM), and I believe in ghosts and supernatural things, because I've experienced them somehow somewhat.

Okay the thing is, I still believe in some superstitions haha.

Okay something interesting happened to me today. The Chinese believes that there are good days, and bad days for everything. For marriage, setting up your business, opening a shop, funerals, and etc. Every Chinese New Year there is a book for such dates for the rest of the year. And yes I read them and sometimes I take it as a guide. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not but well, I'm just taking it as a guide. Besides it's very interesting to know about this.

Today something got stuck in my eyes. I think it's a hair or a fine dust but anyway, I was trying to get it out. I tried folding my eyelid up but it failed. I use eye drops and failed too. So I decided to leave it alone. Just now in the night, I was just flipping that book to see what today brings me. And in the "things to avoid doing" section, it is written: "treating your eyes". I gasped and lots of things went inside my head. But one thing pops out the most: is that how co-incidental it is.

I was already thinking what will happen next. What bad things will happen to me next. Because well it is something I shouldn't be doing today. But well it has happened so I couldn't do anything either. I can't turn back time and not-treat my eyes right. So I sit down and ponder. Well maybe... I don't know. But I'm still very surprised about how co-incidental this whole situation is. And all these made me to where I am now, writing all these thoughts.

There are a lot of life lessons I've learned the past 21 years but one of the most powerful lesson I've learned is that everything happens for a reason. I saw a photo on Tumblr/Facebook once about the recounts (not sure if it's true or not) of some people during the 9/11 incident. How someone missed his bus to work, someone lost her wallet or something like that, and all these made them not-be at the world trade centre on that day. And the post ended that well where you are and what you are doing is happening for a reason, and that you are where you're supposed to be now.

I couldn't agree less to this. I've always believed that the littlest things we do in life happen for a reason. Why we walk on a certain road, not the other. Why we ordered this food and not that food. Why we ate this first, and not that. Why we do this second and not first. All of the small things in life, they all lead up to something that we don't know. And it's pretty scary and wonderful to know this fact at the same time. Isn't it quite cool eh? All these mysteries.

So yes going back to the Chinese calendars. Well after getting all these thoughts I kinda think that why some dates are good dates and bad dates to do certain things, is because we don't really know the answer to what lies ahead. I choose to think of it as this way. If we choose the good dates, there is something behind that date that will make everything smooth. AKA, nothing will crop out during that day. And if we choose a bad date, something will screw up.

And in the end, we choose that day ourselves. It's not like we are pre-destined to choose that day, but we chose it. So yes, I feel that in the end, we are the ones that choose our actions, which will lead up to something else. So perhaps, there's no such things as "superstitions" because at the end of the day we are the ones that choose our actions and do them.

I suppose the good and bad days are there for a reason too. And like what I believe in, I think they are there to guide us along. And as a Buddhist, I believe whatever good and bad things that come between us are the result of the good and bad karma we plant on ourselves. So I'll just keep on doing good deeds in hoping to repay my bad karma of my previous life. And hopefully, not so many not so nice things will come in my way. If you know what I mean.

So yes. Life is wonderful indeed to tell us that everything happened for a reason indeed. Because eventually, all of these superstitions are the result of our actions because we choose to believe in it. And because we choose to believe in it, we let life, fate and destiny decide what will happen next. We don't know the future. No one knows.

Alright I guess that's all for now. It's a pretty quiet Saturday night somehow.

No comments: