Sunday 24 January 2016

Being Vegetarian

So today is the 15th of the last lunar month of the lunar year! Can you believe it. Time surely flies. And we're now 7 days away to the last day of January. It's terrifying at times, but well that's how the way life goes I guess. Always moving, always going forward. And in the blink of an eye, we've grown up.

Anyway since today is the 15th of the lunar month, I guess it's a good time to share you my thoughts and experience of being a vegetarian so far this year! Actually I feel bad, cause last year I always go vegetarian on the 1st and 15th of each lunar month. And I always keep track of these two dates. But ever since I become a vegetarian, I didn't take notice of these dates (oops). I've decided to mark them on my calendar so that I can go to the temple for prayers too!

Right moving on....

A lot of people were surprised when I told them that I've decided to become a vegetarian. I'm not surprised because I was once a foodie. I really really love food. I enjoyed a good steak. I love ramen and char siew and a good roasted chicken. But my view regarding eating meat changed a few years ago when I watched a video from PETA. It was about chicken farming and how cows are slaughtered for meat. I was pretty shocked, and the video opened my eyes and my heart to be honest.

But I wasn't ready to commit to become a full-time vegetarian. So I decided to go vegetarian twice a month during the first and 15th of the lunar month. I remember in 2012 Vithya and I made meatless Thursdays haha. I didn't continue the tradition after I returned home. But I continue my twice-a-month vegetarian routine. I continued doing this till last year in August-ish when I watched a video by Dr Greger, which I got a reference from theneedledrop (thanks Anthony!) and it opened my eyes more!

So the video is basically talking how there's a strong relation with meat and common cardiovascular diseases and also intestinal cancer! Well I've always known that too much meat is bad for you but I didn't know that meat itself is the problem. This is the turning point for me when I decided to go meatless once a week. First it was meatless Mondays but I changed it to Saturdays haha. Cause it's more convenient.

And then Vithya asked me to watch Cowspiracy. It is a very thought-provoking documentary about the meat industry and I recommend you to watch it! I was reading the comment section and I saw people commenting like "If this doesn't make you turn into a vegetarian, I recommend you to watch Earthlings. But watch at your own risk". And a lot of people were giving that warning hah. I didn't know what they're talking about. But Vithya asked me if I want to watch it, cause she has the link for the movie.

I told her that I don't dare to watch it (cause I have a bad feeling about what's gonna be shown in the documentary) but I asked her to send me anyway. I watched the documentary, and couldn't even survive half of the documentary! I skipped most of the part, because it's too cruel seriously. Now, I don't even look at meat the same way anymore as I did last time. Seriously, go watch Earthlings.

To be honest I was going back and forth about becoming a vegetarian this year but Earthlings just stabbed me in my heart and I just went fuck it, I'm going vegetarian now haha. Okay my ultimate goal in life is to become a vegan. But I want to take vegetarianism as a step first, before I jump straight. I know some people are saying that vegetarian is still not cruelty-free. Cause we're still "supporting" the egg and dairy industry which is equally bad. I am aware of that, and I try to avoid eggs and dairy.

So when people ask me why I go vegetarian, my answer will be 80% ethical reasons, 10% religious and 10% spiritual. Ethical because I don't like the idea that animals have to die just to satisfy our meat cravings. Religious because as a Buddhist I believe in compassion, although being a vegetarian is not a must in Buddhism. Spiritual because I feel there are too much suffering in this world. And I want to alleviate them. To the best of my ability, to all sentient beings on earth.

And from these reasons, I'll get some benefits like health benefits! So far I've been enjoying my time in the toilet when I egest my undigested food. In the first two weeks of going meatless I was pooping a lot. Like I can poop three times a day. But now I'm back to my normal pooping routine haha.

I don't want to force my belief in other people. Just like them, I was a meat eater once, and I know how difficult it is to make the change. But well I would suggest for you to maybe reduce the amount of meat you eat? Go meatless once a week like me! You'll feel some difference. Of course, the world will be a better place if we don't have to kill animals for their meat, and they don't have to suffer to get their products. A world where cows graze on grasslands with freedom. It will be so lovely!

Alright I might do another post regarding becoming a vegetarian. I will talk to you soon! Have a great week ahead everyone. Love each other and be nice to one another! :)

No comments: