Thursday 14 April 2016

Lasting Memories

I wanted to blog about this yesterday but as usual, I was very busy with work so I couldn't blog. Anyway yesterday I received the shocking news that one of my drivers, who had been working with us since my grandfather's days, has passed away. His name is Mang Iyan (or in English, Mr Iyan) and he's been working with us for such a long long time. Although he retired a few years back due to his poor health and vision. I was so shocked, because he's someone very close to me (and us).

He's the person who drove us to school back in kindergarten and primary school, and fetched us home. He works for my mum at her shop but on a daily basis, that's what he usually did. He is also the driving "teacher" for all of us. I remember him teaching me driving back in 2009, driving around empty places in my hometown, teaching me how to park and so on. I'll always remember his advice about not freaking out whenever you drive haha. Just be alert, but don't panic too much.

He was also a man with wise advices and great humility. I remember when I was about to study in Singapore, he told me to make as many friends as possible from Singapore and all around the world. He told me one day, they will be your good friends and hopefully we can all help all one another, both in Singapore and in Indonesia. And that's the reason why I have so more Singaporean friends than Indonesian friends back when I was still studying in Singapore haha.

It's quite sad to hear about his passing. But knowing his condition, and how much he's been suffering and struggling with respiratory issues, I know that his time is coming very soon. I've been applying and learning the Buddhist's teaching of impermanence. So yes I'm sad that he's gone but at the same time, I'm feeling sort of relieved that he doesn't have to go through more pain anymore :(

My dad always says when someone pass away, what's left of the person is nothing else but the sweet memories you have of that person. But sometimes in life, we meet people who gave us nothing else but sweet memories. Mang Iyan is one of them. So thank you Mang Iyan for your hard work and dedication. The sweet memories we share will never be forgotten, till I part with this earth.

Selamat Jalan Mang Iyan

No comments: