Friday 4 November 2016

Making Life Complicated

Last Saturday, one of our neighbours complained to us that during heavy rains, the rainwater would flood the drainage and the water would overflow to his plot of land. I called my workers for a discussion on how to rectify the issue. And also I called one of the local people for his opinion. He was the one who made the drains so yeah we need a bit of explanation and inputs from him.

In the middle of our fruitful discussion, suddenly this local guy just went on rambling about how irresponsible that neighbour is, how uncooperative the local people are and yada yada yada. My workers and I just stared at him rambling about until I told him this:

"Sir, we're here to find a solution to solve a problem. Can we focus on this?"

After which he kept quiet and so did everyone else.

I feel a bit bad-ass when this happened haha. But I mean seriously though, I don't quite understand why people need to go on saying and doing unnecessary stuff instead of focusing on the problem. I think this is one of the bad characteristics of some people here - we don't focus on finding a solution, but to blame and divert our energy on something/someone else. Which is pretty unnecessary.

I'm not gonna lie but I used to be this kind of person. I love complaining when there's a problem haha. I'll complain to my sister/friends/parents instead of asking them for a solution. But then as I grow up, I really realise how short our life is. And how we shouldn't really waste every sweet moment of it. So nowadays when there is a problem, I'll just go directly to finding the solution.

I try my best to avoid anger too. When there's a problem at the farm, I just gather my workers, ask their opinion on the solutions, carry out the solution, see result and that's it. If there are still things to be done and managed, we'll just change our ways. I don't scold my workers first, then look for a solution. I've kind of realised how futile anger is. It yields nothing but a sulky feeling inside.

What happened on last Saturday made me remember Confucius' wise words:

"Life is really simple, but we insist of making it complicated"

Sometimes when I am reminded about how short our life is, I just really focus on making the best full use of my time here. And now waste moments on what I'd like to call it - unnecessary thoughts and emotions. That's why I always wonder if we're every mindful of whatever we do, say and think. I'm pretty sure the major population of this world is not. Cause if we do, we'll be the happiest planet ever. 

So yeah don't make our lives difficult my friends. We're all here in a blink of an eye. Or a clap of a thunder. Without realising, our lives will simply end.

No comments: