Sunday 29 July 2018

The Universe

Blood moon rising

So last Friday, I managed to witness the longest total lunar eclipse of the century! Thankfully I managed to see it from the beginning till totality, and this time round I even managed to take a photo of the moon during totality. I don't have a zoom lens so it's just the photo of the sky. With the red moon and mars accompanying her. As someone who loves astronomy, it's such a cool experience!

I've always been interested in astronomy. Thanks to the Young Scientist badge thingy that we always participate in primary school haha. I remember I took the astronomy challenge and I learned a lot about the solar system from it! That's how my interest in the solar system began.

And I've always been fascinated with the universe as a whole. As I learned more about the solar system, and the universe, I realised how small we are here. It's both a terrifying to think that may or may not be alone here. In the middle of this great nowhere. Although personally I believe that we are not! When I look at the stars at night, there's no way we can be alone here. Right...?

Am I the only person who's actually "weirded" out by the idea of our existence here on this planet, on this blue dot, in this solar system, in this galaxy? Like I mean... Why are we here? On this planet who's been spinning for millions of years. Where evolution has taken place for over thousands and thousands of years. Where civilisations have been here for thousands of years.

Why are we the third planet from the sun? Why not the 4th? Why is it the right distance from the sun to keep us warm and to keep us alive? All of these questions, no one can answer.

I think it's funny how we always search for the meaning of life. Yet we don't really know the reason of our own existence. Why we're here. Walking on this planet, surviving all the odds that could have killed us. Surviving all the other options that didn't happen. It's so... Fascinating.

And at times I'm convinced that we'll never know the answer to all of these burning questions. But I have this belief that we'll know them after we die. Somehow, somewhat....

Alright that's all for this random post about the universe hah. July is ending really soon. I hope it's been a fantastic month for you! Oh gosh, officially 5 more months to 2019!

No comments: