Sunday 7 April 2019

Qing Ming

View from my grandparent's tomb

So we went for Qing Ming, AKA the tomb-cleaning festival that happens every 5th April (+/- 10 days) back on Wednesday. Usually people are supposed to bring food, fruits etc to the tombs as offerings for their ancestors. But my family, being innovative, always do the food offerings at the house altar, then go to the tombs for prayers mwahaha. Well yeah it's easier I guess!

Thankfully it was a public holiday so my family were able to gather for the prayers. And I think many people do the same too, as seen from the decorated tombs, and tombs scattered with fresh flowers. 

Qing Ming, like my mum always tells me, is a day that reminds us that we don't come out of a rock haha. I always find it amazing whenever I think of my existence here today, as I ponder upon my many previous generations. What were they doing, who were they, where were they and so on.

Also it's one year since my late aunt's passing. So it was a great day to visit her tomb again.

It's a day that reminds me of many things. Impermanence, existence and more.

No comments: