Saturday 25 May 2019

Beyond Impossible

With the idea that we now have a burger that looks and tastes like meat, but is made entirely out of plants, that sounds Beyond Impossible for me haha. To be honest back then, one of the top reasons why I didn't want to go vegetarian was that I was afraid of missing the taste of meat. Although to be honest once you go vegetarian, you won't miss it at all (for me that is). Especially if you do it out of ethical reason, you'll learn how the taste of meat isn't worth the life of an animal.

Until a few years ago when I found out about the Beyond burger. I was skeptical at first because it was made out of beet (or the extract of it that is) and how could it taste like meat? Then there was the Impossible Burger, and now we actually have a lot of brands that make meatless burgers.

So I had the wonderful opportunity to try both the Beyond and Impossible burger when I was in Singapore. And here's my personal review of both burgers! Although to be honest... It's not going to be a "complete" review, you will understand why later on in the post alright.

I tried the Impossible Burger at Fat Papas with Candy and Syazwani. And we also bought the Impossible Nachos, and Candy bought the Impossible Shepherd's Pie. The Nachos came first and wow seriously I was blown away by the nachos! Okay it has the same texture as ground beef. But taste wise it was rather ambiguous for me, because it was masked by the tomato sauce. But it really taste like a proper nacho with ground beef that I once had last time haha.

Fat Papas Impossible Burger!

Then I tried the burger and holy cow. Wait I mean holy cucumber (HAHA). It really tastes like meat! I was so shocked at first and I asked Candy and Syaz to try to make sure it's not meat haha. Well okay the only thing it is missing is the gamey smell of beef. But it really taste like meat! Well I haven't eaten meat in 3.5 years so I don't exactly know how it tastes like anymore. But it is truly reminiscent of a good burger for me. Couple with the cheese, it tastes savoury and goooood.

Texture wise it was like meat. There's a certain chewiness as well as juiciness when you bite into it. It's just like a good burger, complete with the smokiness of the patty and the soft fragrant buns. It's so terrifyingly accurate haha. I'd definitely try it again. Giving it an 8.5/10 here!

Okay before I go to the Beyond Burger, I actually had quite an unpleasant experience with this one. And I will not name the place that I had this at haha. And this is why this review is "incomplete".

Beyond Burger. Need to give this another try somewhere tho

So I ordered the Beyond Burger and it came looking very promising. However when I gave a bite of the burger... I realised that the patty was still frozen heh. At first I thought it was the mayo that they used (cause it's cold) but then I bit the patty alone and yup, it was still frozen heh. So I asked the waitress and the kitchen gave me a new one. However I'm not sure why but the taste was a bit off. Like I don't think the restaurant did justice to the Beyond Patty heh.

The patty itself was a bit tasteless, and there's a weird smell to it. And also the patty was red in colour. There was no charring of the outer layer of the patty and so on, like how a burger is like.

Maybe I'm bias because I watched and read a lot of reviews about the Beyond vs Impossible taste test. And a lot of reviews that I came across with actually have the Beyond burger emerging victorious heh. Perhaps I need to try the Beyond Burger on another place to give my full review.

Thus... No score given for the Beyond Burger.

Anyway it was an interesting and enlightening experience to try both burgers! To me thus far, the Impossible won by a lot. Because it tastes really good haha. I am really interested to try more of them from different places. And see their spins on it. But also I'm actually amazed by the invention of these two products. We're truly in the future, because I have never expected for them to taste this good!

Alright that's all from me today. I hope you can give both burgers a try if you have the chance to! :)

No comments: