Friday 24 May 2019

Social Media Detox

Right, it's day 3 of my "Social Media Detox" which I voluntarily took part in, because social media access had been restricted/blocked for the past 3 days (with exception of Twitter) here, thanks to the riots happening on 21-23 May. Yes it was pretty inconvenient actually. But I actually salute the government for doing this because I reckon that it's a smart move. If hoaxes can be easily spread over a long period of time during the election season, I'm 100% sure it can spread like wildfire easily in the past 3 days if social media access is not restricted. And the result will be very ugly for sure.

Okay to give an explanation to what's happening, here goes the chronology (to what I understand thus far). The election commission announced on Monday night that the incumbent president with his running vice president has won the election again in a 55-45 percentage count. The other party says that the election is rigged and demands justice bla bla. By Tuesday afternoon mob had gathered in front of the commission's building and other spots in Jakarta, police stood by. 

On Tuesday night, there were a few riots happening in a shopping district (Tanah Abang) and also in front of the commission building. Police were there to control the crowd and tear-gas was used. And then when I woke up on Wednesday, I couldn't access any social media. I thought my Wi-fi died so I turned to my data and it wasn't working still. And then I learned from my dad and brother that more riots had occurred and even people were closing their shops cause they're scared.

So yup, no access on Facebook and Instagram, I couldn't send photos on WhatsApp, and Whatsapp was really slow somehow. I could still access Twitter but uploading of photos are still disabled. All these were happening from Wednesday afternoon till Friday. I was able to send photos somehow in the afternoon but then it died again in the late afternoon. And just recently (it's 4:50 AM now) I was able to access Instagram, even though no photos showed up on my homepage, except for photos from profiles that are either ads, or business/figure accounts. Can't load stories either.

It was pretty inconvenient for the past 3 days. For me it wasn't the social media part, but like how I couldn't send photos on WA, and thus it's harder for me to communicate with other people. I wasn't feeling the FOMO the past 3 days, quite glad actually, it felt like a social media detox! Haha. At the same time it felt like I was back in China LOL. Well true, since we can't access these social media over there either. At least there's still Twitter where I can rant on haha.

Anyway yes, as much as life felt very boring the past 3 days, and how inconvenient communicating with people can be, I respect and salute the Indonesian Government for doing this. I was on Twitter and I've been following CNN Indonesia (I think they're pretty much the most neutral one here, just reporting what is going on) and some journalists as well. I know it was a mistake looking at the replies of the tweets regarding the riots. Even there, hoaxes are still running wildly!

So yes imagine if social media were freely accessible in the past 3 days. Terrifying. 

The problem doesn't lie with the government banning social media, but the lack of awareness, morality and sensitivity of the people to solve things and face things peacefully. How false information are easily spread among people, and people on the receiving ends are also not smart enough to see whether the information is true or not. And the fireball kept on rolling with these people spreading these false information. And that's how chaos happens right.

If there's anything I learn from these 3-day detox is that truly, ignorance is the root of all evil! And it is also the root of our suffering. I finally get it why ignorance is a huge enemy in Buddhism heh.

Nevertheless I would like to thank the hardworking policemen, who some are injured, during these rough times. Thank you for keeping things in control and for keeping people safe. And I think the victims are not only these mis-informed and ignorant people who sparked the riots. But also innocent people who just want to make a living. People who don't really care about who has the power in this country, but they just have a livelihood to make and a family to support. Common folks.

I hope the situation will settle quickly. It was a pretty tense and worrying three days. Take care everyone. Let us all hold on to each other. And spread love. Not hoaxes.

No comments: