Saturday 24 December 2022

Christmas Lights


The giant Christmas tree at Taka

It's Christmas eve now, and I thought it'll be a fitting time to write about this. 

So back in Singapore recently, I am glad that I managed to experience the Christmas festivities in Orchard once again. In fact, after 10 years! I think the last time I'm in Orchard during Christmas was in 2012, since I went back home in 2013. I did return to Singapore in November once (in 2014 I think) but I think I didn't touch Orchard at all heh. Also I think it was still early November so yeah.

Christmas always gives me a bittersweet feeling. Because it reminds me that the year is coming to an end, and a new one is dawning upon us. I'd think of all the trials and tribulations of the year. The sweetness, the bitterness and everything in between. I'd go into contemplative mode on the last 6 days of the year haha, and Christmas is that day that kicks everything into motion heh.

The Christmas lights in Orchard not only tells me this, but it also tells me that I am going back home. Back in Primary/Secondary school, I would go back around mid November. And I would go to Orchard to do my shop for stuff to bring back home. In fact I have a ritual. I would go to POSB at Taka (since they're open on Saturdays) where I would deposit the money that I saved. Then I'd start my shopping. I'll also buy things for myself as a reward. Although I stopped doing this in Secondary school heh.

I would do this with my sister. But I think as I grow older we would split our tasks. Sometimes I buy one thing and she buy another. Or we'll do it together. Those were the good old days!

There is one vivid memory that I have about this whole Christmas shopping. When I was in primary school, I can't remember which year, there was a time when my sis and I were doing our usual shopping at Centrepoint. And I can clearly still remember that Carpenter's "Yesterday Once More" was playing through the speaker. From then on, this song will always remind me of Christmas hah.

So it was rather fitting how earlier this month, I was actually listening to that song while walking along Orchard road at night. A wave of nostalgia just hits me. I feel rather sad when I think back about the good old days back then. Life was simpler, I was still a child and I feel like my worries are so far behind (or ahead hah). And now I'm back, 10, 15, 20 years later. Whew, it's emotional.

Anyway, as the song goes:

"Looking back, on how it was in years gone by. And the good times that I had. 
Makes today seem rather sad, so much has changed."

So much has changed indeed. But, some things remained the same.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: