Saturday 6 June 2015

Tremor

I was in deep shock to hear the news of the Sabah quake yesterday. Actually I woke up to the news. I thought it was just a quake at Sabah. Until I read the news in the late afternoon about how some climbers at Mt Kinabalu was stranded as the way down the mountain was blocked by fallen boulders. And then I read the news about people missing, and casualities... And it's just so saddening.

Today more news of causalities were announced. And news about the death of a mountain guide circulated on Facebook. It saddens me a lot because Mt K is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. To hear such devastating news happening in that place gave me a shock. Also, the mountain guides are some of the loveliest people I met and trekked with while I was there. I hope more good news will arrive in the coming days. Glad to hear the news about survivors though.

Climbing Mt K was a life-changing event for me. And I'm pretty sure that those climbers affected will feel the same too - that climbing that beautiful majestic mountain will change their lives in one way or another. It's just sad and devastating that they have to encounter this during their climb.

We live in a beautiful planet - but also a scary one. We don't know what is happening inside of this planet. Quakes like these can happen anytime, anywhere. I'm feeling a bit uneasy too because somehow the quake is "traveling" down south. From Nepal, then Japan, now Sabah. And below Sabah is Indonesia. And we are located on the ring of fire. I hope the quakes will stop.

Condolences to the victims of the Sabah quake and their families. Take care wherever you are.

No comments: