Saturday 4 July 2015

New Headphones!

Such beauty!

So when I went to Jakarta last Tuesday, I decided to get myself a new pair of headphones! After such a long time deciding whether I should get it or not, I can't take it anymore. And decided to get one heh. So I've been watching reviews probably since the year has started. I was torn between Audio Technica's ATH-M50x and ATH-MSR7. But like what I learned, when it comes to buying headphones, you have to try it for yourself. Reviews are just a gauge, but not an absolute truth!

I went to Jaben Indonesia, one of its branches at Senayan Trade Centre. Actually I Facebook messaged them, asking their opinion about these two headphones. The guy recommended the MSR7 because he said the sound quality (SQ) is better. Although yes it is more expensive too. So I tried both. First I tried the MSR7 and boom, I was blown away with it. I then tried the M50x, and blown away again, but the MSR7 is really a better sounding headphone in my opinion. Great sounds and clarity!

I tried them playing different songs like:
- For female vocals: Ship To Wreck by Florence + Machine, Sea Creatures by Soak, 2Shy by Shura
- For male vocals: Stay With Me by Sam Smith, Going Home by Asgeir
- For electronic music: Chvrches songs and Mideau
- And a few other classical works

All of them sound really good with the MSR7. But alas, I have to spend more time with it to really give it a review. But I went ahead with the MSR7. I think the extra price is worth the difference in SQ!

I was about to pay for the headphones when my sister decided to get it for me for my birthday present instead! Oh man I am so touched by her gesture. Although I feel guilty too because this is not a cheap headphone! But she said she doesn't know what to get me for my birthday and so... Yeah. Special special thanks to my sister for getting this beautiful headphone for my birthday! Love you <3

I have spent about 3 days with the MSR7 and I really love it! I tried my old Urbanears' Humlan last night and it was such a huge difference. I realised how muffled the sounds in the Urbanears are, and how clear the MSR7 is. Like you can listen to the different details and instruments of a song - but not when you use the Urbanears. No wonder people are writing on the net saying that getting a good pair of headphones is one great investment to make. Cause you'll hear and feel the difference.

The only downside I don't like about the MSR7 is that long-term usage causes pain on top of my head. Which I've been warned by the Jaben guy cause he said the clamping force of the MSR7 is quite tight. But no worries, I'm okay with it. I take it off once every an hour or so. 

And also I don't think the MSR7 is a great headphone for classical music. Although I think this only applies to music recorded in the 80s and 90s. I was listening to an old CD of the NY Phil harmonics last night, which was recorded in 1983 and yeah it doesn't sound that good. Lots of air and stuff. But when I listen to the recordings of the All Japan Band Competition 2013, it sounds pretty neat.

After experiencing this great pair of headphones, I am kind of eager to try more high-end ones. Like there was this 30 000 dollars Sennheiser headphones called the Orpheus,which comes with its own amplifiers. Man I would love to try that! Haha. Well the people at Jaben asked me if I want to try Phillips' Fidelio headphones but I don't really like open-back ones.

Yup this is my review of the MSR7! Such a beautiful headphone. I've been enjoying its use so far. Alright stopping here for now. I hope you're enjoying your music too! :)

No comments: