Friday 25 September 2015

Great Music Friday!

 My version of Every Open Eye's album cover
The background image is a bougainvillea flower I shot last Sunday

Today is such an awesome day because of two things. Two awesome music-related things.

First of all I wanna congratulate one of my favourite bands ever, Chvrches, for releasing their second album today! Although I have been streaming the album on NPR for the past 2 nights or so, I am still feeling so happy that the album is finally released! I have pre-ordered the album and I'm just waiting for it to arrive here on the other end of the planet heh. And talking about pre-orders...

My pre-ordered Oh Wonder debut album arrived today too! Double happiness! I am so worried because I didn't receive the email notification if my order has been shipped or not. But after clarifying with the staff over there, I was told that my order has been shipped so I was just waiting for it and it finally arrived! :)

Okay to celebrate the release of Chvrches' Every Open Eye, I shall share with you how I discovered this awesome band! Which through the years, have become one of my favourite.

I discovered Chvrches back in 2013. The first song I heard from them was "Gun". I was on YouTube when the music video for Gun was on my recommended tab. So I clicked on it and hmm I was hooked on the song. Especially the synths and the catchy beat. So I went on to search more of their songs and "The Mother We Share" was the next song I listen to and... That's it. I fell in love!

I discovered them back in end of September-ish I think, so it was also when their debut album, The Bones of What You Believe, was released. I went to Jakarta to look for the album but to no avail, so I decided to buy the album on iTunes. I only got their physical CD in January, when I went back to Singapore. This is the reason why I went to pre-order Every Open Eye right away cause... I lost faith in the music store here. I don't think it will be available in Indonesia (hopefully not!).

I missed their Laneway performance in 2014 and I was pretty sad cause I really want to see them live. But they decided to come back to Singapore back in November and I was like I don't care, I have to see them live! And I went to see them with Brenda. And we even had the chance to MEET them during a meet-and-greet session! I suppose we were very lucky. I'll never forget that night.

When I saw their Instagram that they were recording their second album, I was feeling so excited! Photos after photos and tweets after tweets, they released their first single from the second album titled "Leave A Trace" (during my birthday!) and I just really couldn't wait for the new album to be released. I knew that it's going to be a great album. And when they allow us to stream it on NPR, I streamed it for 2 nights and whew, I fell in love with it. I think they have improved so much from their first album. Maybe it's because of their tour experience, or maybe they just grow incredibly as a band in the past 2 years. I just love the whole energy of the band in their 2nd album!

I feel that Lauren's voice is so empowering and energetic in this album. I was talking to Brenda the other day and I was telling her that in this album, it feels like Lauren is a phoenix soaring bravely over Glasgow HAHAAH. But seriously, I love how empowering her voice is! Not forgetting Martin on "High Enough To Carry You Over". Damn, I have a crush on his voice now haha.

Every Open Eye is definitely one of the best albums that is released in this year. And I just feel so happy for Chvrches for the release of their second album. I don't know why... We don't personally know each other but I just feel so happy for this Glaswegian trio. They are definitely my favourite band in the electronic genre. And I will keep on supporting them forever. Congratulations Chvrches once again! :)

No comments: