Tuesday 29 September 2015

Mid-Autumn (again)

Okay although I'm 2 days late... But well wishing you a happy mid-autumn! Although obviously we are not experiencing a single bit of autumn. Actually the weather has been very cloudy for almost a week now but we are not experiencing any rain. It was a very windy night just now and it seems like a promising sign of rain. I really hope so. We need rain so much. The grass have turned yellow.

I wanted to blog on Sunday but the internet died so I couldn't blog. And I also had to wake up early on Monday so I went to bed earlier. And last night, because I only had 4 hours of sleep for the whole day, I got knocked out right away! I fell asleep although I had prepared everything: my tea, my headphones etc. I guess I was just feeling really sleepy. So here I am now! 

So it was Mid-Autumn on Sunday and my family gathered at night. Chinese New Year and Mid-Autumn festival are two nights I always look forward to every year. They are the days when my family gather and it's always fun to see all of them again. Although of course, when we were young, my cousins and I would play catching and stuff on this night but on Sunday night we were discussing everything from health to businesses and relationships. Although I had a pretty enjoyable conversation about music with my cousin and sister. Time has changed indeed! But it's alright, everything is always changing.

Anyway so my cousin (Febi), sister and I were talking about 90s music heh. It was so fun reminiscing the songs we used to love like crazy when we were still in primary/secondary school.

On Saturday night, my dad was asking me to list down songs from the 70s-90s. He wants to make a new "mixtape" to listen to while doing work. So I was just listing down some of the songs (thanks to Playlists on YouTube haha) and I chanced upon some of my favourite songs from the 90s. Artists/bands like Madonna, Spice Girls, A1, Kylie Minogue and more. I was feeling so sentimental!

I was scrolling through Madonna's discography and songs when I came across her song "The Power of Goodbye" again. I kinda forget how the song sounds like. So when I clicked on the video I went "OMG" like literally. This was one of my favourite songs from her and I used to listen to it a lot when I was young. My father had her casette tape and we would listen to this song in the car. I can still vividly remember one Saturday afternoon when I listened to the song in the car, and looking up on the sky. It was magical. It felt like the 90s happened 3 years ago. When all of these happened 16 years ago.

I feel that the 90s is a golden era for music. I think a lot of great artists and bands emerge in this era and somehow shape the music of today. So many technological advancement and access to many great things in life (like travel, internet and all things nice) happened in this era. So in some ways, music advanced a lot with all of these too. And thus magic happened.

90s is the time when I am growing up and I obviously haven't grasped the concept of music. I have not formed a liking towards a particular genre or band and so on. I suppose I started forming my "concept" of music when I was in secondary school-ish? So that's the 2000s era. Although I feel that there are a lot of great bands that emerged in those years, there's this special feel and sense in the music of the 90s. Perhaps it's the fact that I was young and "open-minded" towards anything and everything in the 90s. So music that entered my ears, and digested with my young mind felt very liberally beautiful. And it stays like that, till now, and probably till the day I die.

Now that I (kind of) understand music more, and that I understand English and the meaning of the lyrics, I have developed a better appreciation towards these music. And now I wish I can turn back time and collect these great albums again. I'm starting to look for 2nd hand ones now haha. Cause in the 90s here, we listen to the casette tapes of these albums! And they are gone forever now hah.

My current playlist on my iPod is now filled with these 90s music that I downloaded through iTunes. And it's probably going to stay like this for a while. I haven't reminisced enough.

2 comments:

purpleskies said...

haha this post is so relatable! I slept 4 hours for two nights in a row cos I had 8am lessons. And I felt like a zombie in class. Also, 90s songs omg. Too many good ones, but maybe I'm biased if I like them like what you said it's among the first few songs you remember listening to. For me, it's songs from britney spears,backstreet boys and other tacky pop singers lol! Anyways, I agree it's a good era of songs. I'm still discovering songs from 90s that makes me go like why haven't I heard of this song before?! hehe. anyways, have a good day!

Adhi S said...

Haha yes! 90s songs are so good. I wish I had internet connection back then and I would be able to discover more songs. Same here too, I discovered a lot of 90s song like yeaaarsss after they are released haha.