Wednesday 6 July 2016

Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri 1437H

 
 Happy Ketupat Day!

First of all I want to wish all Muslims around the world Eid Mubarak! Or here in the Southeast Asian region, Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri! I hope all of you had a great day today with your loved ones, and eat to your fill haha. Well I have eaten 10 ketupats in the past two days alone. I think at this rate of eating great food, I will turn into a ketupat soon. I hope not. Gotta control heh.

Anyway it's such a quiet day today! Perhaps after a round of Takbiran last night everyone is taking a rest. And they're probably off for house and relatives visit too. My house was so quiet tonight. It's so scary, this huge difference and contrast between last night and tonight. Well I kinda enjoy it, it's not everyday that we get to enjoy such silence. At the same time it can get pretty... Quiet.

I've always spent the first two days of Hari Raya at home (except when I was in Singapore). This time round however I'll be spending all the holidays here. And this is the first time, probably, in 15 years that I'm doing this again. It kinda feels good to be honest, it feels like I've shut off from the usual life and world that I'm living in. It feels like my brain is being switched off for a while. Phew.

And also, this is the first time that I'm spending it with all of my siblings married heh. It feels quite funny at times, realising that now my eldest brother is married with a cute and active toddler boy. My eldest sister is currently 4 months pregnant. And my elder sister is married. So the house kinda feels empty with them not around (except for my brother) but well, c'est la vie right!

So I'm kind of glad that I am spending the holidays back at home. At least there's someone to accompany my parents. Also the quiet night can feel pretty lonely here. It's good to know that I'm here.

For the past three years I've been spending the Hari Raya holidays overseas. Although not all of it, just some days of it. Like in 2013 I went to Singapore with my mum, 2014 was Iceland and 2015 was Australia. Well in the past three years my siblings are still back at home and hence there are still people to accompany my parents. Well things are pretty different this year, so I'm staying in!

Which makes me come up with an idea and plan that... Maybe I should just travel during normal days when everyone is around. But I can stay in during the Hari Raya Holiday where the rest of my siblings can travel mwahaha. This year is the first of such idea and I think it's working pretty well.

I think it's quite funny to think how much time has passed us by. We're all adults now and we stop thinking about ourselves. There are things to take care of and routines to change. It is during times like these that we reconsider our thoughts. Life works in the most beautifully mysterious ways.

No comments: