Sunday 22 January 2017

Harvest

Today is kind of the day we've been waiting for, again! Well the flowers in the new expansion of the farm have finally bloomed and we are harvesting them. Not all though, saving most of the flowers for Tuesday as it'll be harvested for Chinese New Year. Which is this Saturday! Holy pineapple tarts. Time flies isn't it. Hmm I'm not sure if this time round, it's considered a successful harvest or not. Well I think it is, but we haven't really hit the bullseye. Which is kinda mehh, it's okay, always learning!

Okay so actually I would say this is a miracle. How and why? Okay here goes the story.

My workers were asking me when to plant for CNY back in September. Believe it or not, I miscalculated. I told him that it was 12th of October. I have no idea how I miscalculate to have that day. However, at the end of September my worker was asking if I would want to just start planting earlier on the 5th of October because well, err we were running out of lands to plant haha. So I said sure why not.

So we begin planting on the 5th of October, and on the 12th of October we were "supposedly" planting for CNY harvest. However in December I grew suspicious because the difference in growth between the first and second greenhouses is huge. I am definitely sure that the second greenhouse won't make it for CNY. So I was curious and I recalculated the date. It is supposed to be the fifth!

I was so mind blown. A mixture of relief and angst and stupidity swirls inside my head. I went to tell my worker and seriously if he didn't ask me to plant earlier, we won't have flowers for CNY. So well yup, the universe has once again conspired with me. I don't know this happened but I'm just awe-struck and thankful for all these chains of events. Now I've changed my habit. I have a calendar on when to plant and so on, for Idul Fitri, Hari Raya Haji and Christmas. It's safer.

Well I would say we haven't hit the bullseye because not all of the flowers have bloomed according to our time. Some were even being harvested since two weeks ago! But well after being in the flower industry for three years, flowers are living things at the end of the day. We can never control how they should grown, when they should bloom and so on and forth. Which is the beauty of the industry.

We are however, able to take precautions. Like planting more than what we need, or giving it an extra days during the rainy season. Or now I learn that we should plant in a duration of two weeks, not just one week, for a harvest 112 days later. Just for precautions like this case.

Sometimes no matter how much we plan, no matter how much we want "nature" to be like, I believe mother nature is a better planner than us. Or in fact, she's the best planner of the planet.

No comments: