Wednesday 15 February 2017

Earthquakes

It's pretty scary with the fact that there were two earthquakes in the past twenty four hours here. The first one was yesterday at 4:47 AM and the second one just now, at about 2 AM. Both were kinda big, well big enough to be felt and for me to jolt out of my seat haha. Last night one was 4.0 in Richter scale. I seriously can't imagine anything bigger than that. Must be terrifying.

Which brings me to one memory where I did experience a huge earthquake once. I think it was when I was in Primary three here. It was during the school holiday and I was watching TV with my siblings at around 9 AM. At first the ground rattled and vibrated and we were both alarmed. And then it became bigger, so big that things started falling off our tables and my desks. Even my dad woke up and ran out.

All of us ran out of our house, including my aunt, grandma and cousin. It was so huge that we could hear the roofs rattling and parts of the zinc-roofs rattling super loudly. The ground shaking and it was just so scary. It lasted for a few seconds but it felt like it lasted for minutes. All we could do was just wait for it to go away. Once stopped, we went back into the house and it was really terrifying.

Back then, that quake was 4.8 on the scale if I'm not wrong. There was no damage thankfully and my hometown was safe. I will never forget that day. One of the scariest day of my life I guess heh. 

I can't really imagine when I hear news about quakes that's bigger than 5.0 on the scale. How terrifying it must be. Earthquakes are pretty scary but they are also a reminder what an active planet we live in. And there's nothing we can do to stop her. The planet is active and alive. And we don't seem to take care of her. Ah well, humans being humans. We forgot we live on a planet sometimes.

That's all for today short segment of a random memory. Be back soon!

No comments: