Saturday 29 April 2017

Kampoeng Jazz 2017!

 
 PREP at Kampoeng Jazz

Hello, okay thankfully I caught some sleep in the car just now and I can blog about this awesome festival now haha. Anyway yes I went for the 9th Kampoeng Jazz Festival in Bandung (Padjajaran University) today. I'm not exactly a jazz lover, I'm okay with it but I'm here for PREP! An awesome band from UK whom I discovered about 2 years ago when they release Cheapest Flight.

Also I finally got the chance to see Tulus live! Weeee. And Kunto Aji as well.

To be honest I was rather hesitant to go because it is now a long weekend holiday and Bandung roads are always jammed during long weekends. This is the third of three consecutive long weekends and on the news, they talk about how full the roads of Bandung, and to Bandung were. But it's PREP, I don't know when I can catch them live again so I have to! I brave myself mwahaha. But thankfully lady luck is on my side and there was not much jam actually. Whew! In fact I was too early heh.

I booked a hotel thinking that I might want to stay a night in Bandung if the concert ended late. So I reached Bandung at 2 PM, way too early! Heh. Went to grab lunch first, and buy stuff my sister and mum wants me to get. Then checked in the hotel to rest for a while. Didn't get much sleep last night.

 Cheers to these wonderful kids!

Head over to UnPad at 6 PM (I overslept!) and walked around the festival ground first. There was a Sundanese art showcase going on at the main stage and there were super cool kids playing in an angklung ensemble. Totally remind me of my days at Pei Tong :( I miss playing the angklung haha. And then went to grab something to eat first before catching Kunto Aji.

 Kunto Aji in the Dago stage!

I love Kunto Aji's set cause he's so energetic! Love the energy he's giving to the crowd, and how he interacts with all of us. How we all sing and just sway along with his music.

 Teddy Adithya. Awesome set!

Then I headed over to the main stage to secure a good spot for Tulus and PREP hah. Before these two I caught Teddy Adithya who's an incredible performer! I'm so glad that I discovered him tonight. Love his music, can't really describe it but he's really awesome.

 Seeing him live is a totally new experience

And then Tulus was next. Okay Tulus is really a great male singer in Indonesia. Some say he's the Sam Smith of Indonesia (and I agree!). His music is so beautiful and uplifting but let me tell you, seeing him live is a whole new experience. I love how he talks with us, and just talk about each song. And also his collab with Kunto Aji and Teddy was awesome haha. Especially the triplet part <3

And last but not least PREP was definitely the highlight of the night! Like I mentioned above, I thought I'll never be able to see them live. After all I'm further further down south from London heh, on the other side of the planet. I was just hoping that I can see them live. And I remember seeing their Instagram Post, "Bandung we're coming for you" and I went crazy haha. Bought the ticket right away!

 So thankful to catch them live seriously.

To be honest I don't know much about them, although I've discovered them for two years. They're kinda like a ghost band. I don't know the names of the members, I don't know who play what and so on. Not much live videos are found on YouTube, and they don't even have a Facebook Page hah. But I've been interacting with them via Twitter and Instagram. Seeing them live is just woots!

They played every song from their debut EP and also lots and lots of new songs. And I love every song that they played last night! Especially "Rachel" and "Don't Bring Me Down" (or is it don't put me down?). Their energy, aesthetic and everything else is incredible. And then they closed their gig with Cheapest Flight and the whole crowd lost it mwahaha. I'm so proud we have so many PREP fans here.

Anyway during the show they mentioned that there are some CDs and Vinyls at the merch stand and to "come hang out". I already have the vinyl and I have ordered the CD heh, so I thought I'll just talk to them. Turned out... You can buy the vinyl and get it signed! Okay still I already have it so I just stayed to talk heh. Thankfully I brought my journal and the one of the organisers was kind enough to let me stay!

And something sad happened. So there was only 25 copies of the vinyl available. Some people were queuing, I counted that there should be enough for people who queued. But suddenly they ran out and there were only three left. The girl in front of me couldn't get it and she broke down (awww). But one of the organiser (the same guy) kindly gave his copy to her! So awesome!

 Thanks for signing my journal <3

I also gave out pieces of paper from my journal to fellow fans so that they can get their signatures haha. That's what fans are for people! And screw some people who actually cut queue.

Anyway yes I got the chance to talk and shook their hands! So so awesome. As usual I startled a flipping lot heh. I was like "okay compose yourself, plan out the things you wanna say" and when I meet them "asffgklweormnasdmnsdfwlekjmrt" HAHAHA. Okay not really.

Everytime I got the chance to meet my favourite artists/bands, there are always three things that I will tell them. No matter who screwed up I say to them. They are:

"I love your music/Your music is amazing"
"Love the performance, it's incredible!"

last but not least, and the most important one:

"Thank you for your music"

Because really, music is incredible.

Anyway that's all from me today. I'm still feeling so so happy that I get the chance to see PREP live. And to shake hands and talk with them. I really hope that I can see them live again one day! Especially when they have released their new EP hehe. Thanks for coming to Bandung! :)

Alright hope you're having an awesome long weekend!

No comments: