Sunday 23 August 2020

Epilogue?

Today is kind of a historically, weird day. Today we just did our last flower delivery for the year, or even maybe... Forever. Well I am planning to continue planting again, but right now that is just a plan. We are not sure of what lies ahead. All I know now, is that we have no more flowers at the farm. Well we do have flowers, just not that many, not enough to be delivered to Jakarta anymore. It's such a weird day. Seven years of doing this, and everything comes to a halt now. All due to a virus.

Well all of this started in March, when the pandemic hit Indonesia. Weddings were cancelled, Jakarta was put on a partial lockdown, and so on. My earning was reduced by 80-90%. Everything that we planned went haywire, we only harvested 10% of the flowers we planted for that month. I knew I couldn't carry on like this. This business is no longer viable. So I was left with two choices, like many other companies that are similar in nature. To continue, or to stop. I decided to continue.

But in April I guess reality hit me hard and boy I couldn't continue. So we had to stop planting the flowers. The costs were not sustainable by our earnings. We almost even stopped everything. That means no more maintenance for the plants. We could have done this, and just let the weed grow on the flowers. But if we did this, we wouldn't be able to harvest flowers for Lebaran, which is quite a pity. So I decided to keep going, and managed to harvest 30% of the flowers for Lebaran.

Well now, we have to reap what we sow (or not sow) 4 months ago. We have no flowers at the farm now. I can't believe that 7 years of doing deliveries, of planting flowers have left us to this state now. All thanks to a virus. Even though I knew that this day might come, I never expected it to come this soon.

It's been a tough call but I guess we have to make peace with reality. This business isn't viable anymore with the pandemic. Unless of course someone is kind enough to give me money to sustain the business haha. But not all things are bad - we have decided to switch to planting vegetables now. Which prices are ridiculously low and it's very fluctuative. But it's better than letting our lands got arid I guess?

I really don't know where the universe is taking us to. But like one of my favourite quotes/mantras say...

"Everything that you are going through, is preparing you for what you asked for"

I don't know who said the quote but I got this from The Artidote page years ago, and it has stayed with me ever since. And like what the flowers have taught me all these years,

You cannot stop the flower from blooming.

2020 is such a terribly weird year. But here I am now, going through this year, this pandemic. Where will I land, where will the universe take me, only time will tell.

No comments: