Friday 16 June 2023

Bali Trip 2023 - Food

Right now to continue about the trip, let me talk about the food I had in Bali! So as mentioned in my previous post, I decided to make this trip a relaxing one. Like I literally only have 2 objectives/goals in my mind for this trip: that is to relax, and to try all the vegan food (that I want to try). I didn't go and do touristy stuff or go to many places. It's simply a trip to chill and relax heh. 

So I didn't have many places in mind except for the places that I know through Instagram (where I see many people eating haha). Most of the places that I visit are actually found from Google heh. I just typed "vegan food" and many of them pop out. I did a list of places that I want to try, and I plan my days according to them. What to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Man, it's such an awesome trip. All I think about is what to have for food later! Hahaha.

Anyway here are the list of places that I went to in order!
- Pels Supershop (Canggu)
- Dreamwaves Doughnut (Canggu)
- I Am Vegan Babe (Canggu)
- Manggis @ Canggu
- Sayuri Healing Food (Ubud)
- Moksa (Ubud)
- Secret Spot (Canggu)
- Gelato Secret (Canggu)
- Kynd Community (Seminyak)

All of the food at these places look amazing. But one of the cons of traveling solo is... I wish I could try all of them, but well yeah, I only have one stomach. So I just ended up ordering whatever I feel like eating there. Most of the time however I would ask for the staff recommendations! 

So here goes the vegan food that I ate during my trip to Bali.


The Pels burger and their chocolate tart. So good!

So I went to Pels Supershop at Canggu for my day 1 lunch. I had their burger and it's super good! One of the best vegan burgers I've ever eaten. The patty is made from beans, beet and grains and they're juicy, flavourful, and the cheese binds everything together. I wasn't full yet so I decided to have their chocolate tart too and it's wonderful as well. The best Asian rating for dessert: not too sweet.


Eating doughnuts by the beach is definitely a wonderful dream

Next I went to Dreamwave Doughnuts for a mini doughnut picnic by Canggu beach. I was spoilt for choices! All of the doughnuts look so good I wish I could eat all of them haha. So I asked the staff for recommendations and their best seller is the banoffee pie and chocolate fudge. Their kemangi (basil) pistachio caught my eyes too. Since I'm on a holiday, I have decided to forget diet and ordered three haha. And yup, all of them are amazing. My favourite is the kemangi pistachio though!


Marinara pasta with vegan prawns. What's a trip to Bali without coconut!

After burning off the doughnut calories (hopefully) by walking down the beach, I went to I Am Vegan Babe for dinner. I see a lot of people eat here on IG haha so I wanna try! I was however quite bloated from the doughnut. I wanted to try their burger but the table beside me ordered it at it looks super huge. So I opted for the marinara pasta with vegan prawns! I also ordered their creamy mushroom baguette for starter and they're amazing as well. I think there's a hint of sherry wine in there. And to top it all off, what's a trip to Bali without coconut water mwahaha.


Tofu scramble and hot chai to start the morning

Manggis is one of the cafes that I wanted to try in Ubud, but I know I won't have the time. So I was very happy to see that they opened a branch in Canggu! And it's like a 5 minute walk from my hotel haha. So I visited them for Day 2 breakfast. Are you really a vegan if you don't have tofu scramble for breakfast? That's what I had mwahaha. It's super tasty and hearty. And my goodness the portion size is super generous. And I wash it off with a cup of chai. Beautiful breakfast.


This raw vegan key lime pie is amazing! 

While waiting for my tattoo appointment I went to Sayuri Healing Foods at Ubud. They're famous for their raw cakes and dishes Man, all of their cakes look super amazing! I don't know which to choose but their raw vegan key lime pie caught my eyes. I had a slice of that with their ginger and lemon cooler (cause the weather was hot). I have to come back to try the rest of their cakes! I wanted to like visit them after my tatt but it was getting late and I wanted to catch the sunset so... Next time I guess :')


Moksa signature sampler platter and raw vegan cheese platter

Next up is Moksa at Ubud. This is a restaurant that is high on top of my list cause I've seen a few videos on YouTube and the food looks incredible! There's also famous for many of their raw food. Continuing with my raw vegan adventure, I decided to get there raw vegan cheese platter for starter, their Moksa Signature Raw sampler platter, and their passionfruit cheesecake for dessert. And my goodness it's amazing! Okay let me breakdown the food for you.


Cheese + grape is amazing. Their cute raw vegan lasagna haha.
Raw vegan food always amazes me.

So I sadly forgot the types of vegan cheeses but I know there's jack pepper, blue cheese and cheddar I think. I can't believe these are vegan and raw. Cause they taste super cheesy and creamy. Pair it with the grape and raw cracker. Yum. For the sample platter it's pretty great as well. I love their raw lasagna which is made from zucchini and raw vegan bechamel sauce. There's one salad in the platter as well and the dressing is amazing! Again, sorry I forgot the name of the samplers haha.


Moksa raw vegan passionfruit cheesecake. Hands down best cheesecake I've tried!

And the highlight of the meal is the raw vegan passionfruit cheesecake. Which is the best vegan cheesecake I've eaten. It's super well balanced, and I can't believe the crust is raw?! Like it's super caramelly, it has a nice depth of flavour and it pairs the raw cheesecake filling. 10/10 meal!


Last dinner in Bali at Secret Spot. Generous portion, fulfilling meal!

Okay for my last dinner in Bali I decided to go to Secret Spot. Okay there's a few choices that I have actually. I wanted to go to Warung Pande Vegan for some traditional Bali food but it was closing soon. And there's a few others I want to check out as well. But I decided to stick with Secret Spot. Once again I asked for their recommendation and I went with their Southwest chickn bowl. It's a tofu fritter on a bad of salad. And also their cauliflower wings. They're good and super filling!


Tofu benedict with tempeh bacon! Definitely coming back here.

Last but not least for my last proper meal in Bali, I had breakfast at Kynd Community. They're another spot I've been wanting to try and wow their place is super lovely! Love the pink touch and white palette of the restaurant. I was spoiled for choice once again but decided to have their tofu benedict with tempeh bacon and it was very yummy! The tempeh bacon is amazing. I have to come back to try their other dishes too cause everything sounds supper yummy heh.

And that is all for my food adventure in Bali! Well I did have some gelato and cake, and also the lumpiang at Berawa beach haha. Canggu is definitely a vegan paradise. So many vegan eateries and I think most of the others have vegan options too. I think it's great if you can travel with friends so that you can share a bunch of them together. But well, I'm a solo travel lover so I will make do with that. I can't wait to go back to Bali again and try many other foods especially the ones in Ubud!

Till next time Bali, my stomach will wait patiently hah.

No comments: