Monday 15 April 2013

Thailand Graduation Trip - Part 1 Bangkok (Day 1 and 2)

Right! Here's the post about my trip. I'm gonna blog about Bangkok first hehe.

Anyway so like all journeys, we begin in Changi (duh!). We met at 6.30 AM as our flight was at 8.30 AM, checked in early and we just decided to walk around T2 before waiting at the gate. Co-incidentally we even met Raudha who's also heading for Bangkok! :) The Tiger Airways flight was pleasant, not for me though, thanks to my headache and nausea urgghhh. And we arrived in Bangkok on time and so on! And we decided to get the Thai numbers with unlimited 3G for 7days! :)

We took the City Line train which took us from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Phaya Thai station, which we then change over to the BTS line to Chit Lom, which is our station near the hotel. It's quite cool cause we got to use interesting coin (as shown beside) for our "card"! Well some stations do have their "card" as well, perhaps the one from the airport uses the coin hehe.

The journey to Chit Lom station was... Tiring but fun! Haha lugging our luggages up and down, and some stations don't have escalators (like Chit Lom) so we had no choice but to carry our luggages down the stairs. Well it's good exercise before we start our 7 day gastronomical journey in Thailand I suppose! Nevertheless we conquered it all, checked-in our hotels, unpack a bit and began our Bangkok adventure with Centralworld for food!

So we were walking around Centralworld, which is a mall near our hotel and we were so famished, we found a nice restaurant for our lunch! One thing I love about traveling is trusting your instinct. Cause I remembered this restaurant only has its menu in Thai and Chinese. And... I don't know what food but I just look at the picture and it looks good so I eat it! Here is a photo :P


After lunch we went back to our hotel before making our way to our first shopping hunt: Union Mall! It is located at Phahon Yothin station so we bought our train ticket and made our way there. And we take photos once we reached the station with the train! Haha. Union mall has both clothing and apparels. And their top floor has some cool art works!

We found out that our Thai secondary school friend, Aphicha, is in town! Well he's studying in the UK and it's good to hear that he's back in Bangkok for his holiday. It's been so long since I met him (like 4 years ago?) and so we decided to have dinner with him. We waited for him at Union Mall before we decide where to go for dinner. Well what can I say, he never change! Haha. It's good to see him again nevertheless, feels like we're back in Tanglin :)

We decided to go have some Thai food, and Aphicha knows where so we went to this restaurant called Sorndaeng, which apparently is quite famous since 1957 I think, looking at their signboard. We ordered a few dishes and yes the food there is really yummy! Like seriously good. Okay shall explain the food below hehe.


This is not all of course, we had more but these are the ones where I took photo of :P

So we have some stir fried cabbage. I like the sauce/gravy they used, it's something I've never tasted before! Well being someone who likes stir-fried stuff, and who eats stir-fried stuff that is. Then we have my favourite Som Tum which is Papaya Salad, and then followed by the famous pineapple fried rice. And one interesting dish: Hor Mok! Which, if I say correctly, it's steamed fish paste. I saw it in TV before haha. And it tasted really good! :)







Before we leave we all take a group shot in the restaurant. 



And then Aphicha brought us to a night fair which was set up by the different government sectors of Thailand! Like I saw the different ministries, defence sectors and so on. And I found out that it's for charity. It is really definitely something you won't find in tours or guidebooks (maybe) of Thailand. So I'm really glad that Aphicha has brought us there, to experience what the locals do on weekends. Definitely a night I won't forget! So Thanks for that Aphicha :)

And it was rather an exciting night where we couldn't find a taxi! But we eventually did haha.

And that's all for day 1, what an interesting day isn't it! It was just one day and I couldn't wait to see more of Bangkok, to see what this city has to offer! To be continued....



For the second day, it was just a whole day of shopping! We went to Chatuchak market, which is only opened during the weekend. That's the reason why we left on Friday haha. So it was just a whole day of shopping, and also we had a massage! Umm didn't take photo of the loots I got but anyway here are some photos I took in Chatuchak! :)

 A day ending in Chatuchak

Ice cream seller, everywhere!

This is an interesting sight actually. It was 6 PM when (I think) the national anthem was playing or something like that. And suddenly everyone just stood still for a moment. Even a car before us stopped! I was wondering why did the car stop? And then I went oh.. Okay.

Bye Chatuchak!

 5 of us and our happy loots!


For dinner we decided to head to Bangkok famous Khao San road! Yup I've been wanting to go there too, since almost all the sites recommended to go there. And I'm interested to go there after reading the book "The Beach" by Alex Garland! :P We cabbed there and when I arrived there, oh yeah things were pretty interesting! I guess the book really described what I saw there. The endless throngs of backpackers, street food, drunk people and so on. 

What can I say - Khao San, where the world travelers meet in Bangkok! I'm glad I went there teehee.
And here are the street food that we ate! From frilled mushroom, to Padthais, to banana crepe and also... Yes, CRICKETS haha. Well Weilun and I ate them that is. I find they taste like prawn. Best insect I've ever eaten haha (from wasp to scorpions, ants and my latest edition, crickets). We also actually dined at this restaurant. It looked so posh and so on but their service was bleah. Not gonna dine there anymore, if I go back to Khao San that is. But well, I really like Khao San night life! I think it's pretty interesting, and I hope to stay there longer when I come back :)
Alrighty that is all for day one and day two! And to end this post I shall end it with my beautiful face eating my favourite crickets! Yum!


Day 3 and 4 to be continued

No comments: