Sunday 9 February 2014

Sent by mail

 Postcards are a reminder to where my feet have been

In this weekend's hashtag project by Instagram, which is titled sent by mail, we're asked to take photos of all things related to mail of course. And well it kinda made me think of how much mails are really less-appreciated in the digital world we live in today. And especially since I'm back home now there isn't much things I would receive by mail except for bills and some weird letters, or the stuff I bought online haha. How sad right.

I can still remember back in Singapore how I would just randomly send people cards, photos and stuff because I really find it a joy to give people something via mails. And thankfully some of the people I sent to, sent me back with something. Like Syazwani who gave me a lovely photo with a nice quote to remind me not to give up during ITP (Those were THE days hahaha) and oh by the way I still keep it for my diary-mark! And also Joanne who replied me with a nice, short but sweet letter too which I still keep it also.

Not forgetting some people who sent me postcards from abroad. So far my collection has been from: San Diego, UK, Kathmandu, Taiwan, Dublin, and Japan! Sadly I actually (I think) left some of these back in Singapore because I couldn't find them here! I keep two boxes of postcards that I collected so far in Singapore. They can be postcards or the zo-cards I got from some eateries. Yeah I have no idea why but I like to get them. And keep them.

Maybe I should send them out to people.

So yes back to the topic, honestly I am pretty afraid that there will come a day where sending mails will be a thing of the past. Even today I'm sure that most of us actually prefer to send emails rather than letters. We prefer to wish people birthday on Facebook than giving them a message or a call. Sure, technology has made our life easier. We don't have to wait a few days to see someone's reply regarding a matter heh. Or to ask someone regarding something.

But I suppose well sending letters and cards really add a special touch to it. Maybe you've come across the picture on the net about how we're more excited to receive email in the past than to receive letters, and now it's the opposite of it. Yup, how true is that photo right?

I suppose we all can't run with the fact that as we progress into the future technology will slowly replace all of these "old" features we once did. CDs will be replaced with umm downloads? Letters will be replaced with digital ones. Film photography will one day go extinct (I hope not). And so on. But I'm very sure there are some people (like me) who wish all these will never end. And if passion allows, they will not allow these things to go extinct.

Like how people are now going back to vinyls and doing lomography again.

Anyway, I am thinking of actually setting up a new blog where I can properly and seriously write about things. Not necessarily stories but you know like my thoughts. But come to think of it I currently own 3 blogs apart from this. One is a blog about my life in Singapore, which I'm not done writing yet (for 2 freaking years) and the other two are my tumblr. One is my random tumblr and another is a tumblr for my photos. Can check it out here.

Or, an alternative is to totally change this blog into my "thoughts" blog heh. Which is currently happening. I'm thinking of changing the name and layout and stuff too. But oh well we'll see about if first. I already have difficulties updating here! :O

Anyho here's to an awesome week ahead! Turning into another brother-in-law this Sunday.

No comments: