Thursday 27 February 2014

Yesterday Once More

 They make me feel like it's yesterday once more

Yup I'm referring to the famous song by The Carpenters. I bought their ultimate collection album from HMV when I was in Singapore last week cause I realised I lost the compilation CD I bought when I was in primary 6 I think. Well duh it's been almost 9 years. So I was listening to the CD again last night while doing work and boy I was feeling so sentimental.

It felt like yesterday once more really.

I grew up with the songs by Carpenters. When I was in primary school when MP3 players were too cool that radio is my only source of music haha. I always listen to Gold 90.5 FM while doing work, or for leisure. And I can still remember when I would keep a piece of paper near me to write down the titles of the song I just heard. And mostly, the songs I heard were by The Carpenters. That's how I get to know them to, and I'm so glad I did.

That's why when I was in primary school my aunt was shocked to know that I know so many oldies haha. Thanks to Gold 90 FM of course!

I really like the Carpenters because I think Karen has one of the most beautiful voices ever. And their songs have this really sentimental touch to them, that it instantly makes you think of the past comfortably. Their songs are really simple and with the touch of Karen's voice, it just made the songs more sublime in a way. It's songs that you can listen and enjoy to anytime.

When I was still in Pei Tong we would sing songs together during assembly. One of the songs we sang to was "Sing", which back then I thought was just an ordinary children song. And Top of The World as well. When I found out that the song was by The Carpenters it made me really touched in a way that those songs were sang by my favourite singers!

I was listening to "Sing" last night and I couldn't help but to reminisce the days back in Pei Tong! :')

Well Oldies never die I suppose. Their songs are just so simply sublime that they last long. Unlike some music of today where meanings seem to have been lost in the songs. Back then there's no such things such as Autotunes and super cool audio editing technology. So I always wonder if Karen can sing beautiful songs without the help of these technology, why can't we not do it today too? Why are people resorting to autotunes and stuff. It's sad.

Like what the lyric of "Sing" goes like: Make it simple to last your whole life long!

Oh well I'm just glad that I come across these songs, and Carpenters, forever! :)

No comments: