Tuesday 28 October 2014

Java Soundsfair 2014

Right so as promised, I'm gonna blog about my experience at the Java Soundsfair last Saturday! Okay so apparently the Java Soundsfair (I shall shorten it to TJS) is a new event that encompasses music and art in an indoor venue. And hopefully it's going to be a yearly event because I really enjoyed it! It's a new experience of music festival for me and I totally love the concept.

So the in TJS, there are 9 different stages with 30 over artists performing at different times on different stages. It's practically a "sounds-fair" because you get to choose to see which artists you wanna see at which time. It's kind of a bad thing if you have like 2 or more artists you wanna see at the same time but for me thankfully, no artists clash haha.

I got myself a daily pass for the second day only since I can only make it at that time. And also because all of my favourite artists are on the second day. Kinda sad I couldn't see Ran as they're performing on the first day. The artists I was looking forward to were: L'alphalpha, Weish, and Homogenic. Not only them, I was also eager to discover more artists :)

 Pandai Besi at Demajors stage

So L'alphalpha played at 7 PM but I arrived at 6 so I walked around the venue to familiarise myself with it, and to also see if there are any great acts. I went down to DeMajors room and Pandai Besi was playing. Sat down and well, really enjoyed like half of their set (I was late). After that I made my way up to Assembly 2 to catch one of my favourite Indonesian bands, L'alphalpha!

 L'alphalpha! So glad to see em live

I've always wanted to catch them live because watching their performances on Youtube is kinda hair-rising. I love their energy and their passion in their music. I was kind of hoping that the venue would be a stand-up one instead of a table-and-chairs one but it was alright, I was truly enjoying their music sitting down anyway. Was so happy to have caught them live, it's a dream come true that felt so surreal! I love Future Days a lot. It's my favourite single from them. Thanks for the music!

 Jiving to Sentimental Moods

My next artist was Weish but since I have an hour to go, I decided to grab something to eat first before heading out again. I was walking around the venue again and decided to visit DeMajors room again to catch Sentimental Moods! Wow I really love their energy, I was happily jiving and dancing to their lively music! So happy to have discovered them. Everyone was dancing to their music too.

 Weish at the main hall, blown away by her performance

So I went up and caught Weish at the main hall. I discovered Weish by watching her videos on Youtube, and I told myself I gotta see her live! Well I was really blown-away by her performance. I seriously think she's talented and Singapore should be proud to have her. I was a bit annoyed with the fact that she has to perform alongside loud music from other band performances below. The organiser needs to do a better job with soundproofing. Like maybe put the "loud" bands in a room instead of an open area so that we can enjoy the music better. But hats off to Weish for putting up a great set :)

Next.... I was supposed to catch Homogenic but I was waiting for the door to be opened (it's supposed to start at 10) and it didn't open until 10:25. I have a race to run the next day so I said screw it and I gave Homogenic a miss :( It was really sad but well, I can't sacrifice my sleep for my race so nevermind, another time it is then. So yup, that's how my Soundsfair ended on Saturday.

I enjoyed my night at TJS and I am definitely looking forward to next year's one! I hope the lineup gets better and more interesting, and I also hope that they'll do something about the soundproofing problem heh. And I hope that TJS won't clash with another event so that I can enjoy the fully. It is definitely an interesting concept and I salute them for coming up with this idea.

Also, TJS really makes me feel proud of the ever growing and changing music scene of my country. It's like the faith and hope of the music industry here (or more like the indie music scene here) is restored!

Discovering so many great bands from my homeland, enjoying music in one night, TJS is definitely a great event of the year. See you next year!

No comments: