Saturday 3 January 2015

Project365 - 2014

Right I was supposed to blog about this like 2 days ago but umm I fell asleep. And yesterday the internet was being a bitch so I couldn't blog. But anyway yes, I finished this project of mine which I started last year (feels weird talking last year when 2014 was just 5 days ago! Haha). Basically I take a photo every day across 2014 and this is how my year (literally) looks like:

Project365 2014 done!

Well I actually feel quite proud of myself for finishing this project. To be honest it's quite challenging to think of new interesting photos to take everyday. And some photos here don't even deserve to be called a photograph. But anyway, to me this project is not solely a "photography" project but also my visual diary. A diary that keeps track of my days throughout the year. Feels kinda awesome to look at a photo and remember what happened on that day, or the significance of that photo.

There are a few lessons I learned from this project.

Firstly I learned to see beauty in everything. Confucius once said "Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it". This is the biggest lesson I learned in this project - to see beauty in everything. But as the saying "another man's meat is another man's poison", what I perceive as beauty may not be perceived to others as beauty. But well I suppose this project is a depiction how my eyes see the "beauty" in everything around me. The sky, food containers, food, animals, roads, random objects etc.

Secondly, I started this project because I want to continue doing what I love throughout the year, although I don't do it for a living. And I actually feel happy to do this! At the end of this project I am happy that I managed to stick to this project till the end, and that I managed to accomplish my resolution of continuing to do what I love. But of course I won't stop doing what I love in this new year. Just that I won't do this project again. I have a new one which I'll tell you soon.

Thirdly, this project is also a platform to keep my creative juice flowing. I am definitely not an artistic person, and my job here doesn't involve arts at all. But I do enjoy being amalgamated inside the "arts" and I want myself to be so, till I die hopefully. Photography to me is a platform to express my thoughts and feelings. It's just like writing, but we don't write with words, and we use photographs instead. And like the saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words. So yup, the project definitely kept my creative juices flowing throughout the year. I have to say it's quite challengingly satisfying.

The first 100 days of the project actually went like a breeze... I felt like "oh I've done this for a hundred days, I'm pretty sure I can do this for another 265". But in reality, it gets tougher! Okay I mean I can cheat and just take photos of skies in 3 consecutive days but I tried my best to take a different object every day. But of course you will spot like a handful photos of skies in that collage. But hey I love skies anyway so yup. At least I don't take a week's worth of skies photos haha.

Well yup, these are my thoughts to this project I did. I recommend everyone to try it. It's pretty convenient now that you can do this because of the awesomeness of smartphones. I mean most of my photos (like 95%) were also taken with my trusty S4. Remember it's not the camera but the photographer! No matter what camera you use, you're still the person that composes the photograph.

Alright, thanks to those who followed my journey in this year-long project of mine. I challenge you to try and do it too! Kinda enlightening once you finished it :)

No comments: