Thursday 29 January 2015

Pekanbaru Trip

 Baros united <3

Right so yup, I went to Pekanbaru, which is located in Riau on Sumatra for my cousin's wedding from Saturday - Monday last week! It was my first time stepping my feet on Sumatra so it was an achievement unlocked for me haha. We headed for Pekanbaru on Saturday morning and stayed till Monday afternoon. There was flooding in Jakarta so we were worried about getting stuck in traffic. Left my hometown really early and reached early too, but we had plenty of time to chill so it was cool.

 Padang lunch

I was expecting the weather in Pekanbaru (PKU) to be blistering hot like Singapore, but my cousin's husband says it is the rainy season now so it was pretty cooling. Thanks for that. We checked in the hotel and went for lunch at a local Padang restaurant beside our hotel. It tastes different from what we have here in my hometown. Perhaps the fact that we are eating it in Sumatra counts for that.

The rest of the afternoon was spent walking around the hotel area. Most of us slept very little the night before so we got knocked out in the afternoon, waking up in the evening for dinner. Went to a nearby mall for dinner and I had this Kaledo soup which is a soup consisting of beef tendons and meat. Pretty okay, not salty enough for me hahaha (my tongue has a salt bias). And yup that was all for day one. Pretty chill day for us, great time for me to soak up the PKU atmosphere.

Kedai Kopi Sin Ki

Sunday morning started with breakfast. And then I joined my uncle and aunts for a roasted pork hunt haha. We were looking for a stall along this road and we found it. Pretty nice sio-bak! And apparently the stall was selling Singapore food like Bakut Teh and so on. We rushed back to the hotel as we gotta go to my cousin's husband house for a lunch with his family. And wow the food cooked by his family is really yummy! Especially love the pork dish which is tender and yummy.

 Our table

We went back to the hotel and it was raining in the afternoon and hence didn't get to travel around much. We were just waiting for time to pass by for the ladies to get their hair and makeup done. It was early evening and we were preparing for the wedding dinner which is located in the ballroom of the hotel. A pretty nice ballroom! Wedding traditions there are very unique... For example the guests are welcomed to karaoke on the stage, and they're given hongbao! Man if I had the guts I would sing there haha. Seeing all the ladies and gentlemen (from the groom's side) singing and dancing on stage makes me really wonder if this is the secret to eternal youth haha.

With the pretty bride of the night!

Anyway it was a pretty touching moment to be in my cousin's wedding. She's one of the people who grew up together with me when we were young, as she lives near me and went to the same primary school as me. So I wish her all the best for this new chapter of her life ahead!

Which also makes me realise how much my cousins and I have all grown up. Seeing all of us, nicely suited and dressed up as adults is pretty cool. We're no longer that kids running around in our short pants and T-shirt like maniacs hah. I wonder whose wedding we'll go to next!

My teh susu

After the wedding banquet the boys (and one girl) headed out for supper. We went to this roadside stall opposite our hotel selling Nasi Uduk, typical Indonesian rice dish served with fried chicken and stuff. I was feeling quite full so I shared a plate with my cousin and drank a nice teh susu AKA milk tea. And yup, that was all for Sunday night. Time seemed to fly so quickly there!

The next day we just had breakfast and we did our packing. We left the hotel for the airport at 1030 AM as our flight was at 1 PM. Thankfully the distance between the hotel and the airport isn't far. And yup, this is our adventure in PKU. It was a wonderful weekend and we were kinda hesitant to go back haha. But we're all working adults now (except for a handful of students hah) so yep. We gotta go back.

 PKU

Going to PKU makes me really determined to go and travel around Indonesia! You know I once heard a saying that you don't have to travel around the world - just travel around Indonesia! Indonesia has such a diverse culture that... Going to different places is a whole new experience everytime. Well, I haven't been to a lot of places in Indonesia. Time to go and explore more! :)

No comments: