Thursday 16 March 2017

Chant

Today is the first of the three auspicious dates for Avalokitesvara AKA Guan Yin but I couldn't go for the prayers as I was having some guest over. Oh well no worries! I suppose it's a good day to talk about something about Buddhism - my daily chanting practice! Yup this March marks the 2nd year that I've been chanting every day. I really enjoy doing this, it's kind of like a supplement to my meditation.

I used to chant first and then go straight to meditation. Now depending on the time, I still do this. But these days I like to split it into two. Cause it's kind of better this way, I can focus while doing both. Not sure why but I always feel rushed when I do both of them consecutively.

I really enjoy chanting because it feels like a mini mediation to me. Although like I once blogged about how every Buddhist practice is a form of meditation. Chanting helps me focus a lot, and I still practice Vajrayana meditation in which I chant mantras while meditating. Chanting sutras are longer and this they help to make me focus longer too. Although there are still times where my mind drifts away.

And chanting Sutras is like a daily reminder for me about the Buddha's teachings. Especially Prajnaparamita! Obviously I'm not some enlightened being hah. But it's good to always tell yourself about emptiness. How it doesn't have a form, how there's no death and attainment in it. Chim I know.

What I love about chanting is that you can do it everywhere. Sometimes when I'm not doing anything I would just chant silently in my seat. Or mouth the words over. Sometimes it's difficult to meditate while you're being somewhere else (and not doing proper meditation) but chanting helps you a lot. In the bus, in the car (when you're not driving obviously) and so on. It helps to gather your mind and thoughts.

Perhaps it is really through that there are spiritual benefits from chanting. Perhaps there are some "magic" to it. But even if there isn't, chanting helps me a lot in my daily life. Just like meditation, I'm looking forward to doing this habit of mine daily. This year will mark my 3rd year of daily meditation too! Time flies really. But well, meditation helps me a lot. And I think you should give it a try too.

Alright that's all from me today. Hope you had a great week, Friday's here!

No comments: