Friday 23 June 2017

Anything Can Happen

So as I mentioned in the previous post, it felt like a miracle that we managed to have a successful harvest for Hari Raya on Wednesday. When seriously just a week ago, the flowers looked really small to be harvested, and that we won't have enough time for them to fully bloom to be harvested. But alas there is a miracle. We were given sunny and hot weather for the past 4 days and the flowers bloom!

Okay to begin the post, let me talk about the plan we did 4 months ago. So for the flowers to be harvested in a particular time/date, we need to plan when to plant them first. So this year Hari Raya lands in 25th June and we should harvest the flowers on 21st June, to be delivered on the 22nd. Usually we take the duration of 112 days as the standard time. However learning from last year's experience, and also the CNY planting, I decided to add an extra 8 days as a precaution.

According to my calculations, *if* the flowers bloom as per normal in 112 days, we should be able to start harvesting them on 14th of June. But nope, none of the flowers actually bloomed enough to be harvested. We were really worried, and we didn't have the faith that the flowers will be able to bloom in a span of seven days! I remember how last week my workers and I were just talking about giving the harvest a miss, and harvest the flowers for Syawal (the month after Ramadhan in the Islamic calendar).

Well we were still holding on to a hope that there will be a bit of harvest that we can do. But we are not too optimistic either. I was feeling a bit annoyed because we actually added an extra 8 days to let them bloom and we still "missed" the dateline. But there really is nothing we can do. They are flowers, living things that we have no control over with. It's not like we can scold them to make them bloom faster haha. Well we did use a bit of a growth accelerator to make them bloom.

Okay so on Friday night I went to the farm to check the flowers again and I was feeling really hopeless. To me there is no way that these flowers can bloom fully till Wednesday. I didn't return to the farm anymore until Tuesday to make parcels with my workers. Until my worker gleefully told me that the flowers actually bloomed and that we have enough flowers for a harvest the next day!

I was a bit apprehensive still. Not sure what does he mean by "enough" but the next day, we did actually have more than enough flowers! That's crazy. In a span of 4 days, the flowers managed to bloom and we did have a successful and bountiful flower harvest! I suppose the universe has conspired with us and I suppose mother nature has other plans for us.

In a state of hopelessness, everything turned 180 degrees back for the better. Pretty mental right.

Well I've learned a lot about not losing hope, and about letting go, in this incident. Do not lose hope.

Because anything can happen. 

No comments: