Saturday 22 July 2017

25 Lessons

 Cause surviving 25 revolutions around the sun is a big checkpoint

Alright as promised, I have finished listing down the 25 lessons I've learned in the past 25 years of my life! It was both a fun and difficult thing to do, cause I realised I have more than that. But most of them can be intertwined together so I try to merge some into one, which kinda share the same points. 

Here goes!

#1 - Life is never a straight road
Obviously, I think we all know this! Haha. But well I learned that there are too many turns that we will encounter in life. And it is never going to be the same. It's alright though, it's fun!

#2 - Change is the only constant
An extension of the first lesson. Life is constantly changing and I think we really have to adapt ourselves to this fact. Expect the unexpected, for better and worst.

#3 - Have faith, always
Have the faith that things will work out. But don't forget to work hard too.

#4 - Hold on to your hope
Because without hope we will get nowhere.

#5 - But ultimately, hold on to emptiness
As the Prajnaparamita Sutra says, all phenomena are empty in nature. They do not increase nor decrease, no death nor birth, no mark of defilement nor purity. So remember, don't hold on to too much hope, nor too much despair. See the emptiness of reality and you're good to go.

#6 - Impermanence keeps me going always!
This has become my life motto. To know that everything will come to an end. So just enjoy.

#7 - Live in the moment
Enjoy whatever you are doing now. The struggle, the confusion, the joy and laughter. They will get you somewhere. Where you may ask? No one knows, but definitely somewhere.

#8 - Don't worry too much
It's in our nature to do so. But do understand that it does you no good, nor does it make things better.

 #9 - Never judge your future
Never believe, and hold on to the idea that things will definitely work out in a particular way. Be it good or bad. Remember emptiness! And remember lesson number 1.

#10 - Keep on doing what you love
Even though you're not doing it for a living. Because they will add colours to your life.

#11 - I can live without meat
1.5 years without meat and I'm feeling so fine.

#12 - Train your monkey mind
Meditating daily for three years have definitely yield results. Our mind is a powerful thing. It can empower you, and it can also destroy you. So don't let it do whatever it wants to you.

#13 - What you think, you become
We create our own reality. the world we live in is shaped by our mind and thoughts. Like I always believe, we are the creators of our own heaven and hell.

#14 - Gratefulness is a key to happiness
Be thankful of what you have. Be it in terms of possession, conditions and emotions. Count your blessings when you have plenty and when you have little. Being enough is greater than having more.

#15 - Happiness is never a goal
It is never a destination. It is something that we create. The more we chase it, the further it will go away from us. Like the Buddha says, there is no path to happiness, happiness is the path.

#16 - I don't want happiness
This sounds absurd, but I feel that you will find happiness when you realise that it is nowhere to be found. Instead of being happy, I'd rather be mindful for the rest of my life. Also I've come to a realisation that... We all want happiness. But we don't know what to do with it when we have it hah.

#17 - Be mindful of everything
Don't believe the voices inside your mind all the time. Never justify your emotions. The come and go swiftly. Do recognise their presence but never let them stay for long.

#18 - Seize the day
Make full use of your time to get the most out of everything. A day, an hour, or even that few minutes you have. We only have 24 hours in one day anyway. And we only have this life. Don't pretend that we have lots of time, and at the same time, don't be ignorant of the time we have.

#19 - Do what you can do right here, right now
Wishing you were somewhere else, and wishing you're doing something else is pretty redundant. Be here! The present moment is such a beautiful place. Although well I'm still learning to apply this!

#20 - Love yourself
Because if you don't, maybe no one else will. Embrace yourself for who you are. We are all amazing in our own unique ways. Cause baby we are born this way *cue Lady Gaga song*

#21 - Rely on yourself
You're the best asset you can have. To achieve your dreams, to reach your goals remember, hard work will never betray you. Be confident, learn as many things as possible!

#22 - You're the creator of your own happiness
I've been teaching myself not to rely on other things to make me happy. Like the point above, we are also the best source of our own happiness. Most of the time, we forget about this.

#23 - Don't complicate things
Life's tough, so please don't make it tougher!

#24 - You're not alone
This is something I learned a few years back. Pretty recent. This lesson reminds me that I'm not alone. That all my actions will impact someone else near me. Be it big or small, be it someone close or not. So yeah be responsible of your own doings. As much as this is your life, we're not alone here. And also, do remember if you have problems, there are people around you who you can talk to.

#25 -  Life will always find a way
If I can sum life in six words, these would be it :)

Yup! That's all from my mini celebration of turning 25 haha. I've been wanting to do this every year but I suppose 25 is a good point, since I'm a quarter of a century old now. Here's to seeing more wonders of life, here's to more lessons that I will learn. And ultimately, here's to finding out the meaning of life and to finding our the reason why we're born into this beautiful world. Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: