Thursday 27 July 2017

Mountains

Mountains // Fuji Industrial 100

So a few nights ago I came up with this random thought.

"You can climb a thousand mountains in a day
or climb a mountain in a thousand days,
as long as you enjoy the process.
But I see no point in reaching the summit
if you don't even enjoy the climb"

Well obviously I think it's impossible to climb a thousand mountains in one day haha. And it's a tad too long to climb a mountain in a thousand days. Maybe we can consider climbing Everest, and the preparations that it takes to reach the summit. But yeah you get what I mean.

The mountains that I'm referring to are actually our goals and dreams. Or even, they are the things that we plan to do in life. Sure, it's possible for us to do as many things as possible in a certain amount of time. But in the process, do we enjoy it? Is it worth it? Do we suffer in the journey, do we lose ourselves? Cause I see no point in us reaching our goals, if we ended up not enjoying this process. 

But how about we take things as they come. We do as many things as possible according to our capabilities. I'm pretty sure we'll enjoy the process, without compromising things.

I always believe that life is like a mountain. You can take your own sweet time to climb the mountain, or your can sprint your way to the top. As long as you enjoy it! Simple as that. But do always remember that we cannot expect people to follow us, and neither should we enforce our pace to other people. We are all unique, and we each have our own capabilities. Take it one step at a time.

I climbed Mt Kinabalu 6 years ago. It's pretty funny how I don't actually miss the summit. I don't miss being on the summit. But I do miss the forest, I miss the climb to Laban Rata, I miss seeing the scenery near the summit, I miss my team mates and so on. I think it's funny how we won't really miss the feeling of satisfaction of reaching our goals, but we will miss the things we do to get there.

And I often wonder. Even if we have reached the summit, what will we do? How will we feel? A temporary feeling of satisfaction. A temporary feeling of glory that dissipates into our distant memory sooner or later. So yep. But the struggle and pain we went through to reach the summit, they will stick with us forever, to remind us that great things don't come so easily. 

This is just a random thought. Life gets very interesting because we all have our own mountain to climb. And everyone else can't see it. And they can't also see our progress and our speed. So most of the time, they'll ask us why are we taking so long. While we wonder why they are moving so fast. Or vice versa. These invisible mountains we climb are so difficult to explain to others. Hmm.

No comments: