Sunday 17 December 2017

Education

Honestly speaking, I'm pretty sensitive when people talk about my "education" in Singapore. Especially when people say things like "Oh you went so far to Singapore to study only to come back to Indonesia". Or "Oh you studied something that has no relationship with what you're doing now". And so on and so forth. I mean seriously, do we have to talk about this, when we're already here now? What do you want me to do? Turn back time and not return?

See the thing is that I made the decision to go back. Sure, if I know how life will turn out back ten years ago, I would do something more relatable or at least made some changes to some of the decisions I made. But what's so fun about life if we know our future right?

Well you see... The thing is I'm not proud of my diploma. And I don't think anyone else is. I am, however, deeply proud of one thing - my education. The whole 3 years of my Poly life, the 4 years in Tanglin and the 3 years back in Pei Tong. Of course the 4 years when I was still in Indonesia too. I am proud and forever grateful for the opportunity to receive an education. 

Something which millions of people around the world don't have access to.

I am proud and grateful to cross paths with some of the most amazing people in life - my teachers. People who imparted me with their knowledge and skills. Who guided and gave me advice on life outside of school. People who trained me to be disciplined and prepared me for the world once I stepped out of school. For showing me love and care, taught me responsibility and initiative.

I am thankful for the friendships I've made and forged with my friends. For sharing pieces of my life with me, through joy and happiness, struggle and hardships. For writing so many memories together, that our lack of communication and distances doesn't seem to matter.

Last but not least, my experiences. For opening my mind to the world out there. For making me brave to step outside of my comfort zone, and for showing me the beauty of this planet. The independence I gained from my ten years in Singapore. The skills I've gained from living away from my parents and so on. These are things that can never be easily replaced with.

My "study" in Singapore is more than just "going to school". The teachers I have crossed-paths with. The friendships I have made. The experiences that I went through and felt.

They are more than just a diploma and certificates.

And I would never want to trade all of these away with anything.

No comments: