Tuesday 26 December 2017

Great Music of 2017

 Great Music of 2017! Thank you for the music.

Right! Is that time of the year again when I would sum up all the great music of the year. I would say 2017 is a fantastic year for music! Lots of great music released, my favourite artists released lots of great albums mwahaha. I'm pretty excited for 2018 as well, some of my other favourite artists have announced that they are releasing new music next year, or are in the process of making a new album! So yup pretty excited for the new year. Anyway here goes!

Oh yes also no new music in the month of December except for Sam Smith's new album which I just received in early December! I love the album, it's like Adele's 25 - it makes me think of my ex, which only exists in the depth of my wonderful imagination HAHAHA.

Okay lets begin with the new artists/bands I discovered this year, as always in no particular order.

Great artists/bands I discovered in 2017:
[] Observer Drift [] Sleeping At Last [] Maggie Roggers [] Cafune [] Ryder [] Shallou []
[] Phum Vipurit [] Trevor Something [] Raleigh Ritchie [] Mesita [] Cigarette After Sex []
[] The Endorphins [] Bayonne [] Compuphonic [] Bottlesmoker []

Discovered most of these new artists from YouTube once again! It's such a wonderful place to discover new music seriously haha. Thank you once again to channels like Majestic Casual, Wave of Good Noise etc. Also some of my favourite bands share the music from these wonderful artists on their pages, and that's how I know them! I'm excited for more new music from these incredible people.

Breakthrough Artist of 2017 for me: Mesita and Maggie Roggers!

Great Albums of 2017:
[] Silhouette by Aquilo [] I See You by The XX [] About U by Muna [] Epoch by Tycho []
[] Now The Light is Fading EP by Maggie Roggers [] Afterglow by Asgeir [] Melodrama by Lorde []
[] The Days We Had by Daywave [] Hazel English double EP [] Revival by Vancouver Sleep Clinic []
[] Truth Is A Beautiful Thing by London Grammar [] Ultralife by Oh Wonder [] Ti Amo by Phoenix []
[] Kaleidoscope EP by Coldplay [] English Letters EP by Favela [] Dua Lipa by Dua Lipa []
[] Something To Tell You by Haim [] Mysterium by Hammock [] Lust for Life by Lana Del Rey []
[] Willowbank by Yumi Zouma [] Blurred EP by Kiasmos [] HMGNC by HMGNC [] 
[] Lintasan Waktu by Danilla [] Parakosmos by Bottlesmoker [] The Thrill of It All by Sam Smith []
[] Mall Music EP by Mesita [] Here's To Nowhere by Mesita [] Living/Breathing by Mesita []

Okay there are a lot of great albums in 2017! I'm going to list down by top 10 albums of the year:

1. Truth Is A Beautiful Thing by London Grammar
2. English Letters EP by Favela
3. Willowbank by Yumi Zouma
4. Afterglow by Asgeir
5. HMGNC by HMGNC
6. Revival by VCS
7. Dua Lipa by Dua Lipa
8. Kaleidoscope EP by Coldplay
9. About U by Muna

Favourite Album of 2017: Ultralife by Oh Wonder

I think Ultralife is a wonderfully crafted album! I really really love the album and their songs have been on my playlist ever since they are released haha. Maybe it's the fact that they described each song in a video and thus I can understand the album better. But well I've been a huge fan of Oh Wonder ever since the time when they released a song a month. I am still hoping that I can see them live one day. They're just so humble and so nice! Thanks for giving me Ultralife this year! :D

Great Songs of 2017:
[] Warm Waves by Observer Drift [] You Don't Know Where You Stand and Silhouette by Aquilo []
[] Say Something Loving and On Hold by The XX [] I Know A Place by Muna [] Division by Tycho []
[] Alaska by Maggie Roggers [] Nirvana by Ryder [] Unbound & Here Comes The Wave In by Asgeir []
[] Truth by Shallou [] Perfect Places by Lorde [] Miracles by Coldplay [] Ultralife by Oh Wonder []
[] High on Humans by Oh Wonder [] Big Picture and Non-Believer by London Grammar []
[] Be The One by Dua Lipa [] Nevermore My Temples Leave and English Letters by Favela []
[] Long Gone by Phum Vipurit [] Somewhere Else, Kihei and Spiraling by Mesita []
[] Persephone and Depths Pt 2 by Yumi Zouma [] Love and 13 Beaches by Lana Del Rey []
[] Apocalypse and Affection by Cigs After Sex [] Summer Days by Rhye [] I Know by Bayonne []
[] Ms Right Now by The Endorphins [] Mysterium by Hammock [] Metropolis by Compuphonic []
[] Pray and No Peace by Sam Smith [] Buka Hati Buka Kembali and Sedikit Waktu by HMGNC []

And many many more haha. Okay I'm going to list my top 10 songs of the year!

1. Nirvana by Ryder
2. I Know A Place by Muna
3. Buka Hati Buka Kembali by HMGNC
4. English Letters by Favela
5. Unbound by Asgeir
6. Say Something Loving by The XX
7. Big Picture by London Grammar
8. Kihei by Mesita
9. Persephone by Yumi Zouma

Favourite Song of 2017: Ultralife by Oh Wonder.... And Nevermore My Temples Leave by Favela

Once again I'm tied with two songs! Okay like seriously these two songs are my most played song of 2017! They are just so so good haha. I love Ultralife because it kinda reflects on how 2017 has been for me. As for Nevermore, it's just such a beautiful beautiful and melancholic song. I love the lyrics (although I don't quite understand it) and the instrumentation is just incredible. I am so excited for Favela's debut album next year. It's gonna be an incredible one for sure.

Right to close off this year's post, I'm going to tell you the acts that I look forward to in 2018! First Aid Kit will be releasing their new album Ruins in January, Chvrches has announced their CHV3 show in June! PREP is finishing their 2nd EP, so so excited for this one. Mesita will also be releasing a new album, and the vinyl for Here's To Nowhere and Living/Breathing yaaay. Years and Years is going to release a new album too I think (saw Olly's Insta Story).

And I am also excited for KOC, Troye Sivan, Shura, Sigur Ros and Maggie Roggers!

That's all for the great music of 2017! This is a fantastic year for music in my opinion. I can't wait for more discovery in 2018. Particularly most excited for PREP cause I love their first EP. Here's to more music discovery in 2018! Thank you for giving me colours in this year, and as always,

For keeping me sane. 

No comments: