Saturday 22 September 2018

Concert Etiquette

Hello, been wanting to do this post... Or more of a rant actually haha. It's about concert etiquette that I've been bugged about, whenever I'm in a concert/music festival! Okay maybe I'm just someone who takes "enjoying music" too seriously but most of the time, these cases are too ridiculous.

So as you know I went to Hodgepodge superfest 3 weeks ago to catch Vancouver Sleep Clinic live. I've been wanting to see them live and I finally got to do so. But there are some pricks out there who were just really ruining the experience hmph. Some pricks who were chatting during the performance!

VSC music is a mix of electronic upbeat and also ethereal sounds. To me I always listen to their music at night when it is quiet and their music are just a good companion to contemplation. It annoyed me a lot when 2 groups of people were actually chatting during one of their quieter songs.

One group was this two people in front of me. They were just chatting about random stuff, about their friend who was supposed to come or something, and they were showing each other's phones to show some WhatsApp chat. All of this happened during VSC performance. As I mentioned the venue was too huge and so it felt a bit empty. Any sound you make can be heard. So I felt really annoyed at them talking (not even whispering) during VSC performance. Like can't you just wait after the song ends?

And I thought they were just checking VSC out (AKA not a fan) while waiting for time to go by. But nope, the guy waited to meet Tim and Aaron after the performance and they were like "Ohh I'm such a huge fan of you". Sure. A fan who talks during their favourite band's performance.

Another group was located a few metres beside me. Their situation was a bit embarrassing. So they were obviously having a good time chatting, also during VSC performance! -.- And I remembered I think it was during "In The End", when the music gets a bit softer, they actually broke into laughter! They received a few stares from the other audiences and were left in embarrassment. It was really annoying. I felt really bad for VSC to go through this to be honest. 

I think it's just basic courtesy to just not talk during a performance? Like what's so hard to just enjoy the music. If you need to say something then maybe whisper? Or wait until the artist finishes their song. It's just so disrespectful for you to talk in the middle of a song, in a quiet intimate setting!

Also I want to rant about the use of electronic devices. Like urgghh why can't people stop recording everything on their phones throughout the performances! Okay if you take bits and pieces here and there I am totally fine because I do that too. For me I'll just record part of my favourite songs and snap a few photos (from the entire set, not from each song heh) and that's it. I won't put my phone up in the air to record an entire song or worst, an entire set hahaha. 

I mean... Your beloved artist is right in front of you performing. Enjoy it man, what's the use of being there but not being there. Why would you want to see the artist through the screen of your phone.

And the worst is when people actually like constantly upload stories into Instagram. Dude like do you come for a concert to enjoy the music, or to let people know real time that you're in a concert heh.

Okay that's all for my rant I guess. I'm just quite sad about how concerts have become nowadays. It has become some sort of bragging rights for other people. I'm glad that there are people who really go to concert for the music and for the band. Not to show people how "cool" their life is through the screens of their phones and through their social media. Or maybe I just take things too seriously.

Alright that's all for this random Saturday post. I'm totally failing and keeping the posts number up. Though I feel happy I have marked 10 years of my blogging milestone haha. No worries I will keep blogging. Just that lots of things happened in this month, didn't really have much time to blog!

I will see you soon.

No comments: