Friday 14 September 2018

Selamat Jalan, Mimih

Selamat Jalan Mimih

Hello, it's been a long time since I blog. Been an emotional wreck the past week because my grandmother passed away last Sunday night. She's been ill and we know her time was coming, it was just quite devastating to know. But then again, at least she's free now. No more pain.

Last Tuesday her blood pressure did drop to 80/50 and we were quite worried. We called the doctor and was instructed to give her some electrolyte water. And her blood pressure did increase to a 90/70, and even to a 120/90 on Thursday. Friday she was feeling okay. On Saturday however her BP dropped again but after giving her the electrolytes, it didn't go up. So the doctor suggested for her to be put on drips. There were also a few medicines that were administered via IV.

Her BP was 80/50 then but after the drips and the medicine, it didn't go up. It stayed the same from 8 PM to 10 PM. There was nothing much we could do because she did say that she didn't want to go to the hospital. The doctor gave another IV drip with more electrolytes this time but her BP didn't increase either. At 12 AM Sunday she fell into a comma. And passed away peacefully at 1245 AM.

Doctor said she was suffering from ketoacidosis. Well yes my grandma had diabetes and during her last moments her parameters went haywire. Glucose level at 456 mg/dL even though she had very little consumption. And her breathing rate slowed down while her heartbeat increased. It was really painful to see her in that condition. I was just hoping for the best, but seeing how my late aunt went through the same thing in March made me prepare for the worst.

Her funeral lasted for 4 days and she was cremated on Wednesday. As per her request, she wanted to be cremated and her ash be scattered at the crematorium, just like my grandfather 14 years ago. I felt really sad this week. I'm still sad now actually. I hate this lingering emptiness I'm feeling.

My grandma was a kind, strong and selfless lady. She would always make sure my stomach isn't empty whenever I visit her. She would always call me on my birthday even when I was still in Singapore. She would give me vegetarian food on the 1st and 15th of the lunar month; although when she was sick and couldn't be in the kitchen anymore, she would ask my aunt to send it over. She never cared about herself, she only care about others. I remember once when she was hospitalised and I visited her, the first thing she asked me was have you eaten haha. Not even a word about how she's feeling.

I am honoured to have her as my grandmother. And I'm very glad that she managed to meet her 3 great grandchildren before she left. I hope I have done enough as a grandson. I am sorry for any wrong doings I've done, and I am sorry that I didn't visit you as often sometimes, when I was busy with work. I cried so much before they closed her coffin. All of these thoughts were running inside me.

Well to my dearest grandma, or as I would call her, Mimih, rest in peace. Thank you for everything that you have done. I am honoured to have you as my grandmother. I will miss you a lot, but you can see Pipih now. Send my regards to him! I love you and I will miss you a lot. See you on the other side.

Selamat Jalan Mimih :')

No comments: