Sunday 16 December 2018

Broken Promise

At Mt Kinabalu, December 2011

I was at Mt Kinabalu with the awesome KK LEAP team seven years ago, when I decided to make a promise to myself that I will (at least) try to travel to a place I've never been before every year. And it was the view above that made me decide to start this personal project I called "Project Wanderlust" (cheesy name, I know). I was just so mesemerised by that view, that made me come to a realisation that there is so much more to this planet that I've never seen, and have to see.

This photo was taken the day after our summit (the day of descent). Most of us were caught in a rain during via ferrata so our equipment and shirts were drenched. The next day was a clear and sunny day, and we went out of our hostel to dry our stuff. Shirts, shoes and so on. We were chatting about our climb, about random things and were just having a good time. With that view in front of us.

Climbing a mountain was never in my agenda at that point of my life. I've never expected to do it either. But we did, and it was an amazing and life-changing experience. Kinabalu has opened up my eyes to the beauty of the world and it made me crave for more. I'm not an active and adventurous person but I'd love to climb another mountain one day! And return to Kinabalu for sure.

So yes, I decided to start that personal project. I went to the US in 2012 (this wasn't planned but I took it anyway), Bali in 2013, Iceland in 2014, Australia in 2015, Tibet in 2016, Cambodia in 2017, and nowhere in 2018. Yup, I broke that promise I made to myself but it's okay!

As I've written last year, I was having a "traveler mindblock" last year. And the same happened to me this year. Also time wasn't really on my side this year, even though I fully understand why time has to not be on my side this year. And I'm fine with it. Hopefully time will be on my side next year :P

Also I used to be a wanderlust, who tells myself that I have to travel, and I can't live without traveling. Err it's still true, but I'll definitely still live without a year of traveling haha. And I came up with this last year: travel not because you have to, but because you can.

I've decided that I don't want to rely on anything to make me happy. And yes, this includes traveling.

There's a reason why I broke the promise I made to myself on this year.

And I am very sure there's also a reason why I won't break that promise again. Be it next year, next next year or whenever. Well... I'll try to not break this promise again next year :)

No comments: