Saturday 16 March 2019

Detox

There are lots of articles posts floating around these days about doing a digital detox. Basically where we delete all of our social media apps on our phones, and go about our days. Some even go to an extent of deleting their accounts! Well I would say it's quite a nice thing to do actually. I did it once, when I went to Tibet. Since China banned Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, I was without social media for 11 days. And it was an amazing experience hahaha. And I didn't have FOMO in those days!

It was also made enjoyable because I immersed myself fully into the trip. No distractions! I did the same when I went to Cambodia haha. I didn't buy a SIM card and just use the hotel's internet.

Anyway, not only this detox, but there are lots of times when social media is being blamed for a lot of negativity in life. From fake news, to us comparing other people's lives, envy, pride and so on. Hmm well it's quite true to an extent. But we always forget one thing: at the end of the day, it is us who use social media! Which is why I live with the saying I once got from the internet: use social media, and don't let social media use you. Cause at the end of the day, we're the one using it.

Recently one of my favourite musicians has decided to leave his Facebook fanpage behind, and go back to the good old website and newsletter. I actually don't mind at all, I respect everyone's decision. Just that I find it ironic, because one of the main reasons to why I use social media is to follow my favourite musicians/bands on their social media to get updates from them. Be it new songs, tour dates and so on. So yeah I find a bit of irony in this scenario actually haha.

And yup to be honest I'm not really that active in social media anymore, except for sharing interesting articles, photos, and good music (cause good things must share!). Except maybe for Instagram, where I still upload photos actively. Though to be honest I've "slowed down" a lot as compared to a few years back. Like I mean, I posted 4000 photos in 2 years alone. And the next 1000 in the next 4 years. So yes, you can imagine. And if I can turn back time, I won't do it! Hahaha,

I use social media primarily to keep in touch with my friends, since I am 1000 KM away from most of my friends. But then again these days, I only keep in touch with a few heh. Next to be updated from the happenings of the world. I no longer watch TV, so I got my news from the social media page of the news outlet that I follow like CNA, CNBS, MetroTV, Kompas and more. And as mentioned above, to follow the updates of my favourite musicians and bands.

And these days I also use social media for one thing: a source of inspiration! Cause there's so many talented and creative artists that use social media to use their work and it's always so inspiring to see/read them. From photographs, to stories, videos, writings and even recipes. I'm following a lot of vegans on Instagram who share many wonderful recipes. And also plant-based nutritionists and doctors that share valuable information about nutritional health.

Do I feel the "negative" sides of social media? Yes. But I don't let it entirely ruin my usage of the platform! I used to feel envious of friends who are traveling and post their photos on IG while here I am stuck in Indonesia. But mehh, once again I don't blame it on social media, I blame it on myself because it's useless feeling envious actually haha. We should feel happy for them!

And there are also yes, fake news and just negative things spreading around social media. And I think it's our job to stop sharing them, or to enlighten other people about the truth. Cutting through their ignorance and letting them know what is right etc. Again, it's the fault of the creators of these negative posts and the people who spread/share them around. Not the platform itself

So yeah coming back to my first point, at the end of the day, it's how we use it!

Although I am kind of thinking to do more social media detox heh. Currently I'm doing so by having this rule where I won't touch my phone before I go to bed. I spend this time doing "off-phone" things like filling up my bullet journal, blogging, writing and of course, doing work. And I don't touch my phone until I showered in the morning. Until my mind and body is ready heh. I am trying to reduce the amount of time I spent (albeit mindlessly) scrolling through social media. And I think it's kinda working!

Alright that's all for this post on social media. I hope you use your social media wisely too! It's quite a wonderful place to be in, but I think there are more wonderful places our minds can go to :)

No comments: