Sunday 28 July 2019

Where You Are

So as I mentioned in a previous post, a month ago my dad had a fall and it was quite bad that he needed some stitching. After 2 weeks his stitching was removed and now we're just waiting for the wound to heal and dry up! I think he might remove the plaster tomorrow whoop whoop.

I wanna talk about something quite... Interesting? That happened on that night where my dad fell.

Okay so my dad fell when he was bathing. Usually I would also bathe as he bathes, and I'll go back to my room to shower. On that night, as usual, I went back to my room to bathe. I grabbed my towel and just as I was about to enter the bathroom, I stepped on hmm okay I'm not sure what to call it in English. But you know termites would eat up wood and they would dig the wood, and threw out the chewed up wood outside. So yes, I stepped on those wood diggings from them.

I was felling annoyed because actually a few hours before, I was clearing up some termite diggings on the same exact spot. So before I went inside the bathroom, I went to clear that spot. Took some tissues and clear them slowly. As I was clearing them, that's when I heard a loud thud and my dad shouting. I quickly went to my house's bathroom and that's when I found my dad sitting on the toilet floor, with blood on the floor. I was so shocked! But when he replied to my mum and I, and even stood up again after that, I knew he's okay (I thought he was going unconscious or something).

So yeah can you imagine if those termite diggings were not there as I was about to step inside my bathroom? Can you imagine if I didn't step on them and just went to bathe as per normal? Well eventually I found out that he's okay (despite the torn skin). But if I were to bathe straight away, I wouldn't be able to respond to my dad's calling quickly. And yeah, things could go awry.

This whole incident reminds me of the story about how some people survived 9/11 because of "unfortunate" events that happened to them before work. How some people woke up late because of a faulty alarm, cause of a car that won't start, and because it was his turn to get coffee for the office. And the end of the article says something along the line of: the next time you are stuck in an unpleasant situation, be aware that you're supposed to be here in this very moment.

So yeah even though I was annoyed that the termite diggings made their way back to my room, I am glad that they gave me some time to clean them up, so that I can respond to my dad's fall.

I'd like to close this post with one of my favourite quotes by Robin Esrock from his TedTalk:

"Where you are, is where you're supposed to be"

No comments: