Friday 30 December 2011

Goodbye 2011

Right so currently, the clock just hit 12 midnight a few minutes ago. So I guess it's right for me already to blog how my year has been. Currently I'm listening to the song "Today My Life Begins by Bruno Mars". Perfect song to end off the year and start 2012 with a big smile on my face! Teehee. But seriously, 2011 has been a great journey for me. Seriously freaking awesome. I think it's the best year of my life, maybe.

Anyway didn't blog for quite long cause I spent the past two days at Jakarta staying over in my cousin's house! We watched 2 movies, so damn nice. We watched Mission Impossible 4 in the first day, and then Sherlock Holmes 2 in the 2nd. Both movies were awesome, but I think Sherlock is the one that gave me this satisfaction feeling after I finished watching the movie! And it's been such a long time since I got that.

Then after that we all went to my hometown for a nice reunion! Today was alright (I meant yesterday, 30/12), we spent most of the day out from lunch to my dad's garden and then to some places. It's really good to you know, gather everyone together. I think cousins are... I don't know how to put it. I think they're more than friends. No matter how long you have never met them, when we all meet, it feels like the good old days! That feeling never changes, that's for sure. Pretty nice huh.

Quite a so-so 2nd last day of 2011. So didn't really do much things today I suppose.

So I will use this post to reflect on the past year! Okay I've done something to reflect per monthly basis but that will be later, you'll see hehe. I'll just summarise and write my thoughts for 2011 ok! :)

Well I suppose I've been repeating this many many times, about how awesome my 2011 has been. Of course there were road bumps here and there but well, we learnt through these bumps right? I mean as we all know, experience is the best teacher in life right :) Hmm I really don't know how to carry on writing this. But I guess there are three words that sum up my 2011:  Learning, discovery, friendship.

Okay be prepared for a very, very long post.

Learning


We all learn in life. Be it in school, at home, while we're with out friends and etc. Basically, we all learn in life. And please don't stop learning in life. The day that you die would be the day you stop learning, got that! Hehe. So what's about learning? I guess in this year, I have learnt a lot. Be it from others, from myself, from my teachers and so on. But learning in life, doesn't really need to come from the outside.

I believe the best lessons in life don't come from books, but they come from yourself. And well true enough, I've learnt a lot from the things that happened this year. A freaking lot. The journeys I've went through, the events that happened, my mistakes, my wrong-doings, my right-doings. I guess we can all take something from what happened in this year. We all do.

So you know, when you feel that 2011 has been a bad year, then find out what's bad? And make 2012 a better year ahead. Learn it, and apply it. If you feel 2011 has been a good year, then keep it up. If possible apply what you did in 2011 that make this year an awesome one. Right?

What have I learnt this year? Besides learning more about mRNA translation, substitution reactions, biosafety, cholinergic drugs, siRNA (!!), sideroblastic anemia, hyperlipidemia, Hepatitis B and so on, I've learnt more about life too. I've learnt how scary people can be, I've learnt how to manage my time more, I've learnt to come back to yourself, I've learnt to.... And the list goes on basically.

But the most significant one I suppose would be: I've learnt how to not doubt myself :)


Discovery


With the so many journeys that I went this year, I've learnt to discover. To find out. To never stop being curious and explore the world. Explore life. The world is just too beautiful to be left undiscovered. So does life. There are so many wonderful things in life you can discover. And well sadly or... Actually not sadly. These things, are only discovered by YOURSELF. Well you can't expect people to help you discover something isn't it? I mean all the time. But truly, making a discovery, you have to do it yourself :)

Well yeah, for example after my Inner Mongolia OCIP trip, I've discovered more places in life that I've never been before. I may not be some adventurous fella but I really love going to new places, discovering new places, exploring them. If it's a country, I love to learn more about their culture and the people. The place, the architecture and so on. It's a great way to learn more about the world right?

Then it was my Mount Kinabalu trip. Another journey that made me think how beautiful this earth is! I've discovered another jewel of the planet. And I've enjoyed truly its beauty and majesty. The trek up, the summit part, being on top of the clouds, going down, trekking in the rain. All these experiences are so priceless I tell you! And yeah I've discovered lots of things from here.

So after discovering these beautiful places, I've realised how beautiful this world is, and it'll such a pity if you left it undiscovered. If you have the chance, the opportunity to go travelling, going overseas, or well to just simply go somewhere you've never been before, take it. But to me discovery doesn't always mean overseas. Sometimes going to new places in Singapore/Indo makes me excited too hehe.

But discovery isn't always about DISCOVERING places. It's also discovering yourself, and others. And life. I've definitely discover myself more this year. I don't know how, why and when or what. I just feel that way. I feel that I've returned to myself more. And that well I've discovered more things about myself. I guess thanks to CLS FLP camp. Habit #7 I suppose! :)

So people, never stop discovering. Never stop exploring. Just like going to new places, when you discover something new about yourself, you get that sense of joy and excitement right? Same thing happened!

Friendship


I've made LOADS of friends this year. It's good, cause I'm pretty much an introvert person (laugh as much as you want). Well I've treasured the lots of friendships that I've forged this year. The GT team, where we went to Inner Mongolia to carry out the Green Desert Project. My KK team, where we went to summit Mount Kinabalu together! CLS FLP mates, CLS FOC people, my new classmates, and many others who have crossed my path this year. In one way or another, you've made my journey!

To my GT team, I really feel we're the best team that I've worked together so far. I don't know why. Is it the fact that we've been together for 3 months before the trip? The fact that we stayed under the same roof for that short 2 weeks? We had lunch together, breakfast together, work together, and well I guess there's just that chemistry between us that created that spark which lighted our friendship?

I don't know but well, it's been great honour and pleasure to have worked with all of you in that project. It was really fun, enriching, and just unforgettable. Thank you for making that 2 weeks the best two weeks of my life. For the memories, for the stories, for everything! :)

To my KK LEAP team, congratulations that we've summited mount Kinabalu together! I was so scared that we're going to have bad weather when we climb (as told by the previous group, quite scary uh). Thankfully we were blessed with great weather. And it was really nice being there, on top of the clouds. Looking down the mountains like as if we're on top of the world.

At first yeah I feel pretty awkward to be with you all. I didn't tell everyone this - I was intimidated. Cause when we first met up together (that was the sharing session by the October group), I saw all of your and all of you looked fit and lean and muscular and either you come from a sports CCA, or you just look fit. As compared to me, a fat guy who was currently overweight. I felt so... Down heh.

Well I just didn't want to be a burden to you all. And that was the promise I make to myself, not to be your burden (which eventually did, cause of my AMS). Well I feel sad and disappointed with myself. But seeing your kindness and teamwork, I felt touched as well. Thanks especially to Clement, Kai and Chloe for being there beside me as we make our way to the summit. But honestly speaking, that pinch of guilt and disappointment of myself still lingers in my heart. I don't know how to get it out.

But thank you everyone for the wonderful trip. I once doubted myself that I can climb a mountain. But with all of you around us, the laughters, the chatters, the smiles and the encouragements just gave me that extra push to go up. And once again sorry if I were being a burden to you. If I slow you down a lot cause I kinda get tired easily. And my AMS as well. But it's not that, that truly matters. But the warmth and friendship we gave to each other were really nice :)

And to everyone else whom I've met and made friendship with. I wish I could list down but no, it will be too long heh. But yes thank you for being there, for crossing my ways in my journey of 2011. In one way or another, you've made me who I am today! Right now! :)

I guess yeah that's how much 2011 meant to me. The three words should sum it all. I wish I could talk and elaborate more but well, some things are just kind of hard to elaborate. And left in my heart for me to simply smile about again :P Well yeah, it's just hard to explain if you put it that way.

But yep, 2011 has been a great journey, one big adventure. Didn't really expect much from 2011 when 2010 ends. But well it was just a blast. And as much as I hate leaving 2011, we have to, cause we can never stop time, let alone move it back. But I sure wish that my 2012 will be a better year than the already-as-awesome-as-a-ever-2011! I've new resolutions to fulfil and  well let's just hope they will be fulfillable! :)

To sum it all, here are my highlights of 2011! I've been reflecting the past 12 months for the past 12 days and here's what we've got:
- Microbiology project
- Musical Delights 34! My first concert in Esplenade!!
- IDEAS filming
- End of year one, BBQ!
- Trip to Hong Kong, Central Java
- CLS FLP! And CLS FOC as photographer
- Start of my new research life
- My GDP meetings every Wednesday at Moberly :)
- Hair for Hope 2011! (I'll be back in 2012! Promise!)
- Turning 19 (one year before 20, damn I feel old)
- IBM 29 :D
- GREEN DESERT PROJECT @ INNER MONGOLIA CHINA :D :D
- SPSB Korea trip!
- Poly50 with my GT! Damn awesome
- KK trainings :D
- Standard Chartered Marathon 10KM! DONE!
- LEAP INTERMEDIATE @ MOUNT KINABALU
- And many others! :)

And to end this last post in 2011, here's a poem I wrote about my awesome year. It's in record, the longest poem I've ever written. Enjoy! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2011

And the year begins with January
As we got caught in the world of microbiology
Of garlic and ginger and chilli
Then came SPSB’s Musical Delights
One of the happiest days of my life
As we played on that grandeur stage live

Soon February came, soon it left
The last days of my year one odyssey
Came and go like the breeze of the sea
As we studied hard like there’s no tomorrow
Our hearts filled with hope, with sorrow
Hoping we can end our first chapter beautifully

February left, and March marches on
We killed the papers, flinged our pens high
As much as we hate, as we love, we say goodbye
To the beginning our poly life, we continue
Then I stepped into a camp, that taught me lessons
of life, of myself, of others, that I shall always carry with me

And time fools me like April fools people
A new chapter opens, as year two came
Filled with excitement and hope we seek
When mother nature stroke her fury on Japan
We showed our support and love through music
As we hope our songs can harbor our prayers to them

Then April left us, as May joins the year
It was an ordinary month, days of my year 2 went by
Slowly and steady time would simply fly
Then I came upon a tiny poster from DSD 
That marks the beginning of an unforgettable journey
And so the 25 of us said hello, to Inner Mongolia

And June came to make its way
As we feel that time is flying away
With MSTs waiting at the end of the holiday
And assignments accompanying us everyday
But we never relinquish, we never give up
And we pulled through it all, eventually

As June says goodbye, we say hello to July
This month marked the end of 18 years
Oh hopeful joy, and hopeful tears
As the 17th marked the beginning of my big 19
On the 23rd I shaved my hair with hundreds others
We shaved it for hope, to be alongside children with cancers

And August came, as July had to go
To the toughest month of the year, I say hello
On the 12th of August, I played my heart out
As we brought the audience to a journey to believe in music
And we fought a war on the second last week
Which concludes our first semester journey

September is the month I’ve been waiting for
To Inner Mongolia we go, as we wrote new stories
To give back to mother nature, we planted 1133 trees
In return,  she gave a forged friendship and  memories
Then we exchange our friendships, in the land of Kimchi
As we performed overseas, a dream come true for me

9 months went by, and October came
The holiday ended, as we say hello to a new semester
It’s a month of sentimentalism as I remember 
the great journeys I had back in September
But we still continue our planting legacy
“1133 trees, and still counting!”

October left, and November says hi
And on the 9th, ten of us in a small crew
Ran a route 50 times, a distance of 30 kilometers
That day was possibly the happiest day in my poly life
And then soon we’re saying goodbye
To this year we’ve been sailing through

And last but not least, December’s here
A great month, to end of the great year
On the 4th, my first ever 10 KM run
On the 11th, one great journey begun
And for the last two weeks I reminisced
to give 2011 a sweet goodbye kiss

And that is all to my 2011 odyssey
It’s been one great adventure, one epic journey
I’ve learnt a lot, and discovered even more
As much as I hate to leave this wonderful year
We know life has to move on, time has to go on
Lets end off this year wonderfully, let us all open our door

And welcome 2012, with joyful hope and hopeful joy

CHEERS TO AN AWESOME 2012 PEOPLE! AND HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR'S EVE :)

Thank you 2011. Thank you :)

No comments: