Saturday 8 March 2014

Bali trip 2013

 Go for a solo trip at least once in your life
Trust me, it'll be good

Hello, I realised I haven't blogged about my solo trip to Bali last year haha. Although it happened a year ago, oh dear, but well better late than never right! Anyway I'm not going to blog everything about my trip because honestly speaking I kinda forget about the details of the trip. But I just remember how wonderful it is to travel alone, definitely an eye opener.

Anyway I went to Bali on the 3rd to 5th of March last year. I've been planning to go for a solo trip. Plan was to go after my ITP to Batam (can you believe it hahaha) but I couldn't because the time was too tight. So I decided to go after year three. I wanted to be ambitious and go to Laos but that's a bit mad for first time solo traveler so I decided somewhere closer, and also close to my heart and that is Bali. Besides, it's been like 10 years or so since I last went there.

Bali is a very lovely place. With its Hindu-majority population, it definitely doesn't feel like Indonesia. It feels like I traveled to another country. And the last thing I want is for its culture to be tainted. I love the island, life seems very chill there apart from the bustling Kuta area where tourists flock in. There's something so inspirational and spiritual about the island which I really love. Maybe it's the religion, or the people I don't know. Just lovely and nice.

 Flowers offering you can see almost everywhere there

Anyway I only have three days there so I was really trying to get as much Bali as possible haha. I took a morning flight from Singapore. I can still remember that I woke up late and arrived at Changi 20 minutes before the counter close. Arrived in Bali at about 11 AM I think if I'm not wrong. The weather was really lovely outside the plane. Blue sky and puffy clouds.

Okay although I went alone, I met with a local guide there. He's a guide whom my sister met when she was in Bali. I met up with him at the airport and we drove for lunch first. I am really thankful to him because he made going around Bali pretty convenient. Of course I could have spent the days riding taxis there and stuff but I heard how scary the rides there and how you can get easily ripped-off haha. So thank you to him for that, oh his name is Mr Suwandi by the way.

 Uluwatu cliffs

The last time I went to Bali, I didn't get much of the island itself. I think we spent it by the beach and going to the monkey temple. So this time round I went to all the places I've been wanting to visit. Uluwatu, Tanah Lot to a traditional Hindu temple (called pura), Tegallalang for its rice terraces, Ubud and yeah these are the major places. I stay in Kuta and that's like the traveler's heaven I suppose? So many people there and that's where people flock in.

 Almost sunset at Tanah Lot

Bali is a very beautiful place. Uluwatu and Tanah Lot are my favourites. I love Uluwatu for being a temple on a high cliff. And thankfully Mr Suwandi knows kind of a secret path that we walk on to a random open space near Uluwatu high on the cliffs which is nice. I've been wanting to go to Tanah Lot. Although sadly there was high tide so we couldn't go to the temple on top of the rock. The sights are definitely unforgettable. I was shutter happy back then.

The building of an ogoh-ogoh at Ubud
This would be paraded during the Nyepi celebration

Walking around Ubud is also a lovely experience, walking along the cafes and shops. Pretty artistic place I must say. I came across a primary school in Bali and it's nice to see the locals walking around. The kids carrying what seems to be like a broom for cleaning up and their artwork, probably the ones they did during class. Ubud is definitely a place to chill. If you want to avoid the hectic Kuta area you can head here for a relaxing stay.

 Kuta beach BEFORE the storm hahaha

Kuta is a very bustling place. But Kuta beach is definitely a nice place for a morning stroll. I remember strolling along Kuta in the morning of the 2nd day and... There was like a sudden rain-storm. Like seriously sudden. I walked at 8.30 AM and at like 8.40 plus it just poured crazily. Kuta at night is very lively. I walked around Kuta and chill by the road. Then heading back to the hotel with an ojeg AKA motorcycle taxi. What a night haha.

Tea for one please!

It was a lovely trip indeed. I ended off by going to Mt Batur for lunch with a great view. And to Tegallalang to see the grandeur rice fields.

Before I embarked on this trip I kinda question myself to whether the trip will be "worth it" and nice, with the fact that I'm traveling alone. But hey, it was definitely an experience I always crave for. Traveling alone definitely opens another side you never seen before. Basically, since you're alone, you have no one to talk to, to share thoughts with but yourself. So yes you will be surprised to find the things which you don't know about yourself.

Stone carving in Ubud

Traveling alone definitely is a soul-searching moment. It's pretty much an epiphany to me. And I recommend everyone to travel alone at least once in your life, when you have the chance to. It will be worth it trust me. And you're going to enjoy it. Unless you're those kind of people who cannot be alone. And please don't try to travel alone to "hardcore" countries for first timers haha. Bali is a lovely place you can start with. Just don't do stupid things there heh.

Alright shall stop here. Great time reminiscing about those days. And I'm always looking forward to the next solo trip I'm going to have. And well, soon.

No comments: