Saturday 13 September 2014

11 Things I Love About Iceland

Okay so I'm really missing Iceland ever since I received that postcard I sent to myself. So I decided to do this post about 10 things I love about that beautiful country! Although it's been more than a month since I got back but oh well here goes!

 1. Reykjavik

Okay I just love everything about Reykjavik. I think it's a beautiful city bustling with life. The beautiful murals, the people, the ambience, everything! I feel that Reykjavik is a big city that is small and a small city that is big. Like I mean I walked everyday around the city when I was there and I realised that this street is nearby this street and at the same time I realised how much of the city is left unexplored by me. Seeing new sights everyday, and finding shortcuts made me feel this way hah.

 2. Murals in the city

Reykjavik is filled with colourful houses and rooftops. And it is also filled with so many cool art murals around the city! I found out that some people actually hired artists to have a mural painted on their house's wall. And the one above is one of my favourite!

3. Landscape, landscape, landscape

Iceland definitely is the most beautiful country I've visited so far because its landscape is just too surreal and amazing. As I drove around the country (kind of), every few minutes of driving will welcome you to a new landscape. For example you'll pass by a moss field and then you'll pass by a volcanic field next. It's really something I've never seen before. The beautiful variety of the landscape truly made this country a uniquely beautiful one. So please go to Iceland :P

 4. Empty spaces

Well Iceland has a population of 300.000, with the island covering an area of 100.000 square kilometres. So there is a lot of big and empty spaces. Well I'm a person who enjoys emptiness, and enjoys being surrounded by it so yeah. Iceland is the place to go heh.

 5. Clean air and awesome tap water

I realised how crisp and fresh the air in Iceland is, even in the capital itself. Iceland is powered by geothermal energy so there is very little pollution! The air is refreshing and I was trying to breathe as much air as possible haha. Also during my 5 days there I didn't bother to buy mineral water as I was told that their tap water is good enough (or even better). And yes, the tap water there is really clean and has no smell! It's like free-flow glacial water or something heh.

 6. Land of fire and ice

They don't call Iceland the land of fire and ice for nothing! There's snow capped mountain, and then beside it there's a volcano, a drive south will land you in a glacial lagoon filled with icebergs. Truly the land of fire and ice! Thankfully I get to experience both, well not seeing the lava and magma etc but seeing Snaefellsjokull is good enough!

7. 12 Tonar

Best music shop in the world for me. Nuff said. I wish I can spend a longer time there though.

 8. Bæjarins beztu pylsur

Also best hotdog I've had, found in Reykjavik! I get random cravings at night for this beautiful, savoury, delicious hotdog. I miss their crispy onions.

9. Arnastapi

I must say that Arnastapi is my favourite place in Iceland. So thankful I got to spend 2 hours there to enjoy the serenity and beauty of that place. I always feel sad listening to Sigur Ros songs now because they remind me of the place a lot. Walking along the cliff listening to Vaka and Ara Batur was just so eargasmic and lifegasmic really.

10. Jokulsarlon

And of course Jokulsarlon is another favourite. Well it's simply because it's the first time in my life that I see icebergs! And also I've been wanting to go there too. Unlike Arnastapi, which I didn't know of heh. I want to camp at Jokulsarlon one day when I go back to Iceland! :P

 11. The people

Of course, I feel that the interacting with the people of the country is the most important aspect of traveling. I did manage to chat with a few locals, but the shy me don't have the guts to take their photos. Except for one! Unnur. She's the guide for the Snaefellsnes Peninsula tour and she's really friendly. I asked her to pose for a photo here at Arnastapi and she gladly did! Generally the people in Iceland are very friendly and welcoming. Well I didn't meet anyone that left me with a negative impression so yes, I love Icelanders haha.

Right so here are eleven things I love about Iceland. There is obviously more than eleven things I love about this beautiful country. But I'll just stop for now! :)

No comments: