Monday 8 September 2014

Mid-Autumn

 
 Happy mid-autumn

Today is the day of mid-autumn festival and it is a day that I always look forward to every year. I always look forward to four Chinese festivities every year. Lunar New Year, Qing Ming Festival (where you go and clean up your ancestors' graveyards), Mid-autumn Festival and Winter Solstice (where we'll eat tang yuans or glutinous rice balls). Although as we all know it, we have no autumn and winter here, let alone spring. But it's the tradition that keeps us going, and loving!

During mid-autumn we would set up an altar here outside my grandmother's house as we would pray to the moon. Then pray to our ancestors and the rest of the time is spent chatting with our relatives. It's a festival where everyone gathers together. And this is my favourite part of the festival, apart from the awesome mooncakes we get to eat too.

Although sadly I didn't eat any today as I was a vegan for the day.

Today made me realise how time is changing, rather quickly. Inside my grandmother's house, my parents, aunts and uncle were chatting inside. And outside, my cousins, sister and I were chatting happily about anything and everything. Music, food, travel, adventure and more. You know witnessing this scene really made me feel how much time is changing. It's like as if two consecutive generations are having a gathering together, chatting together.

It feels like yesterday when my cousins and I were playing chasing during mid-autumn, while the "older people" were talking together at my grandmother's house. Well we've all grown up now so we do the same thing as them, chatting together. Sometimes I wonder how it will be a couple of years later. Maybe my cousins will bring their children to this gathering, and their spouses. What will we be talking, what will we be doing? No one knows really.

Well, here's to more mid-autumn festivals with my family to come.

Happy Mid-Autumn everyone :)

No comments: